Chapter 5

2 weeks ago, Slash had taken Flaro from her friends and family. Polka sat by the lake, throwing pebbles into the water. He looked up at the sky, the last place he saw his sister fly away and curled up, blinking away his tears. A hand rested on his small shoulder and Polka looked up to see Thorn standing beside him, "Hey little man." He said softly. Polka looked back out over the lake, "Hi." He said quietly.
"I miss her too." Thorn sighed, sitting back against the tree trunk.
Polka looked down at his feet, "You knew her longer than I did. She left home when I was only a few months old. It's not fair, I find her 6 years after she leaves home, and now she's gone again." He said, his voice cracking with tears. Thorn put an arm across Polka's shoulders comfortingly. Ever since Flaro had been forced to leave to protect them from Slash, Polka had been living with Thorn. He let the small boy lean on him as he began shuddering from his tears again. Polka curled up beside Thron as he hugged him tightly, "C'mon Polka. I know you miss her, but she's Flaro. She's not gonna be trapped for very long. If I was there with her right now, I can guarantee she'd probably be melting the entire castle down just to get out."
"I want my sister back. Why hasn't she come back?" Polka's little voice croaked. Thorn tightened his arm around the boy and sighed, "I don't know. But she loves you, she's not gonna leave you alone for much longer. She'll come back. Don't worry." He said softly.
Polka lifted his head to the sky, "Why can't we go and get her?"
Thorn shook his head, "It's too dangerous."
"So? Flaro would have done the same if it was anyone else trapped in there. Why can't we do it for her?" Polka argued, desperate for Thorn to understand how much he needed his sister. Thorn squeezed Polka's shoulder, "Hey, she'll come back. I know she will."
Polka looked up at him, "You really think she will? It's the Dark Region, I heard it was impossible to escape."
"She's courageous don't forget, I'm pretty damn certain she'd do anything in her power to get away from that place."
Polka nodded, Thorn did have a point, his sister was very good at sneaking away, and was very talented with her powers. She'd taught him so much that had amazed him, things he thought were never even possible to do with fire. He looked up at the sky again, 'I have to stay brave for Flaro. She'll come back. She always comes back.' He thought. Thorn smiled at Polka, knowing what he was thinking.

Back at the camp, Shadow was pacing in his cabin, thinking deeply. The options they had were, go after Flaro or trust her enough to stay safe and alive and not try anything stupid. Sure she was older and more mature now, but she also was still childish when it came to pretty much anything rational. He sighed and sat down, 'Last time I use a steel cage to keep someone from the Fire Region in place.' He thought. He should've known that fire, espeiacally Flaro's fire powers, would melt the bars enough for her to slip through. He looked behind him as a pair of hands rested on his tense shoulders. Espee hugged her husband tightly, "Don't worry, you saw her battling with us. She's grown so much. We've been underestimating her."
"I know. But she's still not safe with Slash. Hell knows what he's doing to her to drive her insane right now."
Espee smiled comfortingly, "I know you worry about her like she's your own, but we have to trust her. Thinking of worst case scenarios won't help Polka. He's still trying to process everything that's happened."
Shadow nodded and looked out of the open door to see the other children sitting silently, they'd been quiet since Flaro had been taken away. Usually, they'd be running around and screaming with laughter while Flaro gave up her spare time to play. It'd been so quiet since Slash had taken Flaro. Thorn was making it rain with his sadness, hardly anyone wanted to crack a joke, it seemed as if when Flaro was taken, the fun and laughter from the camp was stolen with her. Espee kissed Shadow's cheek softly, "She'll be fine." She whispered.
Shadow closed his eyes and rested his head against hers, "I know. But I can't relax until I know she's safe and ok. At least still sane." He said, a dark tone in his voice.