Chapter 23

That night, the air was filled with chatter and laughter. All the camp residents were gathered into Shadow and Espee's home for the celebration of Flaro's return and her parents' arrival. The now cooled off Shadow sat at the head of the long table while his wife and friends made rowdy conversation. It sounded almost as if they were in a crowded tavern full of drunks. He glanced over to where Flaro and her family sat, her parents opposite her and Polka while Ash was placed in a high chair next to his father, kicking his tiny legs happily while babbling nonsense. As the fiery family caught up on years worth of their children's lives, Shadow noticed that someone was missing, Slash. His eyes narrowed as he looked over to the door, 'Staying out there is the first good idea you've had.'
Cosmi glanced over to him worriedly, "Heard that."
He covered his ears and glared at her like an aggravated teen, "Stay out of my head!"
"Hey I can't help it, you're in my range and my powers are more powerful this time around." She smirked then looked over to Flaro, "She trusts him."
"So?"
"So, shouldn't that mean something. Maybe he did change, even if it was the tiniest bit, Flaro would know wouldn't she?" She raised an eyebrow.
Espee nodded, "That's true. Flaro has spent over 9 months with the man, something must have changed in him. He's not attacking, he's keeping his distance and he doesn't seem to be plotting anything."
"And I read Flaro's thoughts a while ago, it was Slash that contacted her parents back and arranged this meeting. I can't get into Slash's head though. I'm not really sure why." Cosmi shrugged.
Shadow frowned at the two women, "We don't know if this is just all an act to gain our trust before he wipes us out."
"Maybe. Or maybe Flaro woke something in him. She does have that affect on people." Espee mused, smiling over to the Princess in question as she ruffled Polka's hair. Shadow huffed and turned back to his meal, stabbing at his food, "I'd still rather die than trust him."
Espee sighed, sharing a tired glance with Cosmi before they both returned to their conversation beforehand.

Flaro glanced around the table subtly, unable to find a particular face and sighed, 'He's hopeless.' She thought. Shadow, Espee and Cosmi were in deep discussion, most probably about him. She sighed again and turned back to her parents as Polka continued telling them about their travels around the world and all their battles. She reached over and ruffled his hair playfully as he tried to reenact the night the Dark Ones attacked the night after Flaro's birthday. She went to stand up and smiled at her parents, "I'll be right back, I just have to do something real quick."
"Ok, hurry back." Blaze smiled as his daughter left the room and walked out of the door, looking around the dark campsite. She shivered and rose her body temperature, 'Holy crap cold!' She shook it off and began walking around in search for a certain someone before finally spotting two dragon outlines. She walked towards them and peeked around the black dragon she and Slash had rode there. He was leaning against the black beast's side, wrapped in a blanket and staring at his small campfire. Flaro whistled, catching him by surprise and fell beside him, "Hey, whatchya doing out here?"
"Stargazing." He replied sarcastically.
Flaro smirked and leant back, "I know he threatened you to keep your distance."
"Huh?" He raised an eyebrow, looking her to her.
"I'm not an idiot. As soon as my back was turned I heard Shadow tell you to keep away from everyone."
Slash sighed and looked back at the fire, "It was a fair thing to say really. I did try to kill you all multiple times."
Flaro shrugged, "I guess. But you didn't attack them once when you took me. And you aren't now either, I just thought maybe he'd have a tiny slither of faith that you're keeping your promise." She sighed, closing her eyes, "He's kind of stubborn. One thing you both have in common."
"I have nothing in common with that imbecile." He grumbled.
Flaro rolled her eyes before blowing on the fire, increasing the size, "It must be freezing out here."
"It's fine." He muttered. They sat in silence for a while, just sitting beside each other and staring into the raging flames. After a while Flaro sighed and stretched her legs, "I better get going back or my parents are gonna kill me for skipping out on dinner." She laughed before jumping up, "I can bring some food for you later if you want?"
"No thank you. I'm not very hungry." He smiled slightly up at her. She smiled back and ruffled his hair, "If you're sure. I won't be long." She called as she ran back, waving over her shoulder. He waved to her retreating figure before staring back at the fire, suddenly feeling cold without her presence next to him. He sighed and leant his head back against his dragon, 'At least she's happy.'
The beast behind him made a low humming sound that very much resembled purring and pressed his muzzle to Slash's side. He smiled slightly and patted his muzzle, "It's worth it if she's happy. Don't you think Nightmare?"
The dragon purred again in response and nestled it's head beside his master's side, closing his white eyes. Slash patted the dragon's head softly as he drifted off to a well deserved sleep.