Prologue

Shadow

6/11/87

I remember it like it was yesterday, likely because it was yesterday. I had just woken up early that morning when I heard my older sister calling from the room at the end of the hall. "Shadow, get your ass out of bed! It's time to go!" I scoffed as I sat up in bed. "Coming!" Today was the day that we were finally moving out of the tiny trailer that we lived in. It was fine for 2 mons, but 5? Come on now. I got dressed and grabbed what little belongings I had before heading out of the room. The Glaceon stood in the kitchen near the door. Her fur was a bit more vibrant and clear than most Glaceons. Her eyes were as blue as the sky, and you better believe they could look deep into your soul. She glared at me for a moment before turning and walking through the door.

I glanced around the room, making sure I wasn't missing anything before following her outside. In the driveway sat Syle's old Plymouth Trailduster. It was an odd dark green and cream two-tone. It was somewhat rough, being a near 10 year old truck that he'd paid $800 for. The Leafeon himself stood next to the open driver door, waiting for me to get in. I walked over to the truck and crawled into the backseat. In the passenger seat sat Laser, and to my left sat a Flareon, Sunny. Sunny was the youngest and also the most shy. He was quite secretive, even though we were his only family or friends. To my right sat a grey Manectric, Dean. Dean wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the garage, but he was a good fighter and would help protect us.

Syle pulled the door shut and began to back out of the gravel driveway. I glanced back at the house, knowing that it would be the last time I saw it. Good riddance. The truck pulled out of the driveway, and I watched the house get smaller and smaller in the mirror as we drove away. Laser popped one of her tapes into the cassette player and pulled the road atlas out from under her seat. She flipped through a few pages before she got to the Idaho section. I stopped paying attention and looked out the window. All I really focused on was the greenery surrounding us, the beautiful sunrise sky, and Laser's Van Halen tape that she'd put in a few moments ago.

. . .

The sun was setting, and we were surrounded by trees. We'd turned off of the paved road and onto a dirt trail. The only sign of civilization other than the trail was a singular power line, one that seemed to end in the upcoming clearing. I noticed a cabin in the clearing as we neared. It was small, though still larger than our old trailer. Syle pulled the truck off of the trail and parked it in the grass in front of the cabin. "We're here." Everyone got out of the truck and grabbed their things. I hung back a bit, taking in the scenery. It was a nice area, I was shocked at how cheap it was. As I was looking around, I spotted something.

A figure stood further into the woods, seemingly watching me. I stared at it, trying to make out what it was. My instincts told me to run towards it and confront it, but my head said to run inside and lock the door. Ultimately, I went with my head. I ran back to the cabin, heading inside and locking the door. I peeked out through the window back into the woods. The figure was gone. I shook my head. Maybe I was just hallucinating. I headed towards where the others were, but not before closing the blinds.

—--------

A/N

Hi! This is mostly just a short story I decided to write for fun, though I may continue it one day. There's only 14 more days until I can finally start working on Arcane Explorers again. I'm looking forward to it, I hope y'all are too! Anyway, I've got some homework to get back to. See ya!

-Volt

(5/7/24, 18:59, -5 GMT)