The Rift

On a cloudy afternoon, Bennett was out picking wolfhooks around Wolvendom, accompanied by Razor. He was on a commission from Draff who wanted some antiseptic for the unsuspecting hunter trampled over by a boar.

"Aw!" Bennett quickly pulled his hand away from the wolfhook he was picking. "Didn't expect a thorn to pierce my glove..." He then removed his gloves and put his pricked finger on his mouth to soothe the pain.

"There's thorns. Be careful," Razor reprimanded.

"Hehe. I'll be careful next time." Putting back his glove, Bennett resumed picking wolfhooks.

Bennett wiped his sweat from his forehead after collecting his quota. "Another job done! Thank you for going out with me, Razor."

"Don't mind it," Razor responded. "I'll protect you from the wolves."

"You mean the ones in your pack? We've met already. I even think we're already friends."

Razor shook his head. "Not Lupical. Wolves, from the outside. I remember their smell."

Bennett's eyes widened. "Seriously? I could have sped up if you told me that earlier!" Bennett quickly packed up.

"Don't worry. I'll protect you."

"No. I mean the people from Springvale... They might get attacked again!"

"Ah, I'm sorry." Hearing his words, Razor finally understood the source of his worries. "Let's hurry."

The two sprinted towards Springvale via the road connecting the Dawn Winery and Springvale that passes through Wolvendom. Thankfully, no hilichurl structures are blocking the road.

The sky became overcast, and thunder seem to rumble from time to time.

"Ahh. I hope it doesn't rain until we get there. I didn't bring an umbrella." Bennett pleaded. "Wait. I didn't jinx it, did I? Let's pick up the pace!"

The two moved faster. A quarter away from Springvale, rain started pouring. They were a bit drenched by the time they get there. They went straight to the village head's residence.

"Draff-san! Draff-san!" shouted Bennett. "We're back!"

"Coming..." Draff opened the door.

"Oh. Thank you for accepting my commission. The payment's on the adventurer's guild. Here's my token—"

"There no wolf problems here that happened while we're out, right?" cut Bennett.

"Not that I know of. There isn't one." Bennett and Razor sighed in relief.

"Uh... Here are the wolfhooks you needed, Draff-san." Bennett handed him a sack.

"Thank you once again, lad." Draff handed Bennett the token for completing the commission and waved farewell. "See you again next time."

"Uncle Brown Cat... Be careful." Razor said before leaving.

"Sure, I will."

The two boys left. They sat and waited in a shed to pass the rain.

"I'm glad things turned out alright," Bennett said, wiping the rainwater from his face.

"I'm sorry..."

"What for?" Bennett asked in confusion.

"I didn't tell you about the outsider wolves earlier. I thought protecting you was enough," Razor confessed.

"Forget about it. They didn't treat you fairly the first time they got attacked here, right? I still get angry when you said they accused you for starting the attack. So don't be sorry about—"

*Crash!*

A loud Thunderclap cracked. The lightning illuminated the sky for a brief moment.

"Enemy." Razor warned.

Purple particles gathered around the spring. First, they formed into a line. After getting to a critical mass, the purple line unfolded into an elliptical portal.

Traces of Electro flowed from the portal. A Thundercraven Rifthound emerged.

Activating his vision, Razor sped to the Rifthound with little delay. His body, seemingly transforming into lightning.

"Wait up!" Bennett materialized his sword as he caught up to Razor.

The Rifthound was ready to pounce. Razor gathered electro into his right hand and slammed it into the ground. A surge of electro radiated from him and hit the Rifthound. A huge claymore quickly materialized in Razor's hands to block the incoming bite.

"Take this!"

A flaming sword hit the side of the Rifthound causing a small explosion from the elemental reaction. The hound was knocked back and Razor quickly created a claw from electro and scratched the abyssal wolf.

Grrr... Electro crackled around the hound as it growled. It was in a weakened stated. With two against one, it saw it's own opportunity to win to be slim.

The Rifthound turned back and slashed across space, opening a rift and fled. Razor pursued the hound, seemingly fueled by anger.

"Razor wait!" Bennett ran towards Razor. "Don't enter there!"

Razor entered the rift. Bennett followed and grabbed Razor's clothes. But when he turned back, the rift had already closed. What he saw was an open grass field near a forest and under a warm and peaceful weather.

He turned to Razor who was as astonished as he was. Looking past Razor, there was a group of people having a picnic.

"Hello," a short, white haired guy greeted.