Chapter 10

Maia paced around the living room at her parent's house. She'd been dreading making the trek up the mountain to visit them, more so than normal. She'd try, she told Andrew. And after many lengthy discussions with Lauren and Mrs. Jeffers about whether the timing was right, if it was a smart move, if she was even good enough to do this, she'd come to the conclusion that she'd join them, him.

But now she had to tell her parents.

"I won't be able to get you from the airport, have some radio interview I have to do. Sorry," Andrew's name lit up her phone screen, blocking out the picture she took of him that was now her lock screen.

"All good, I'll take an Uber."

An immediate reply: "You and the damn Ubers. Someone will be there, I just can't carry your bags this time."

Maia laughed a bit at his response.

"How'd it go with the folks? As pissed as you thought?"

"I'll let you know. Charlene took me to the living room and told me they'd be in soon. Classic."

She locked her phone and looked around the extravagantly decorated living room her parents now owned. They'd settled into their new lifestyle quickly, Maia thought, after her dad sold his company. They were never happy about her decision to drop out of college to pursue photography, but after they found themselves in this new circle, they were embarrassed of their drop-out daughter.

"Maia!" Her mom gushed, wrapping her into a hug. "Little bit more to hug on nowadays?" She whispered, an airy chuckle punctuating the remark.

And so it begins.

"Well glad to see you're in good health, when you called we thought something bad had happened to you!" Her dad swooped in and pulled her away from her mother. "You know you're allowed to come by when there isn't a holiday?"

She laughed, following her parents into the dining room, an elaborate place setting meeting her. "I know Dad, just been busy, that's all."

"Yes, I hear about how busy people working temporary jobs are." Her mom quipped, taking a sip of the wine in front of her.

"Alright, look, can we-"

"Don't get upset, honey. Your mom just wants you to reach your full potential. Have you started applying to colleges again? Not too late to go back!"

"No, Dad, I haven't. I'm really not planning on it either."

Her mom pursed her lips, as their chef brought out the salads. "Oh, honey, make sure you eat all of that. It'll fill you up so you won't need to eat as much of the main dish!"

"Alright, just, excuse me." Maia pushed herself back from the table and locked herself into the closest bathroom.

"So far, not good. I've been called fat twice and my dad already asked when I was going back to school. We don't even have the entrees yet." She texted Andrew, needing a few calming breaths before going back to that warzone of a table.

She was lucky, she reminded herself every day, to have such a great friend in Andrew. Not many people would be willing – or able – to just forget a drunken incident like their kiss. The fact that they were able to get back to normal so fast just further solidified the fact that Maia had made up any "moments" they had in their mind. She was so, so lucky that she didn't lose the photography contract, or more importantly, her best friend. He'd stayed true to his word, never bringing it up, even as they talked like nothing had changed.