Chapter 15

The group sat out at the beach, enjoying the few days they had before departing for the European summer tour. Maia sat in a chair, letting the sun wash over her body while she enjoyed a particularly spicy part of her book. She tried to ignore the squeals of laughter coming from Natalie in the water, but failed to keep her eyes on her book as she heard her screech Andrew's name.

She watched him, throat going raw, splash Natalie with ocean water. The latter responded by running over and clinging to him like a God-damn koala. She continued that disgusting, nasal laughter as she chased him up the beach.

"Someone moves on fast," Maia seethed as Andrew rolled onto the towel next to her. "How long are you going to wait to kiss her?"

"Excuse me?" He jerked his neck towards her, fury in his eyes.

"You heard me," Maia readjusted her sunglasses and refocused on her book.

"You've got to be joking!" If you think you-"

"Who wants another drink?" Maia snapped her book closed and shot up. Rory raised his hand slowly, like he was afraid of getting in trouble. "Great! Come with me, I need help carrying the drinks. The two sat the bar, watching the bartender mix the two cocktails.

"I don't get it," Maia finally snapped, almost slamming her hands on the table. "I get that she's a good singer and all, but why does he seem to follow her around like a lost fucking puppy? She's not that interesting—stuff it, or I won't buy your drink." She snapped at Rory's pointed stare. "I didn't like her when Andrew and I were friends," Her voice caught on the last word.

"I don't know if it's her, necessarily, but him missing what you guys had. You were together all the time."

"Yeah well, my fucking bad for not wanting my face all over the internet" She grabbed the cocktail off the bar. "Apparently losing my job isn't enough proof that I'm right for anybody."

Maia stepped over Andrew and fell into her beach chair again. She picked up her book, staring at the letters on the page.

Andrew flipped over onto his back, stretching his arms behind his head for a few moments. "You got sunscreen, Maia?"

She ignored him, turning up the volume of her music.

"Natalie," he turned to the other side, smiling like he was made of sugar. "Sunscreen?"

Maia had to fight off her laughter as Natalie almost dove into her bag looking for it.

"Let me know if you need help with it," Natalie smiled seductively at him.

Now, Maia couldn't quiet her laugh, as she guffawed and spilt half her drink into the sand below.

"Something funny, Maia?" Natalie hissed.

"I... I mean?" Maia couldn't stop the giggles from spewing out of her. Alex started to join in, redness growing on Andrew's face.

The angry stare from Andrew hushed Alex, but only spurred Maia on.

"At your big age? Needing help with sunscreen?" Maia rolled her eyes, laughter finally dying down. "Try harder, Nat," She loosed one last chuckle before turning back to her book, relishing in the sounds of scoffs and sighs from the pair next to her.

The seating arrangement couldn't have been more frustrating, Maia thought as she put on the second movie of the flight. Business class, her first time flying internationally, much less with that level of luxury (she'd always made Andrew buy her coach), should've been a flight to remember. Instead, she couldn't turn her head more than 45 degrees to the left without risking the sight of Andrew and Natalie peeking over the divider of their pods, giggling and throwing things at each other. Two weeks ago, that would've been her, Maia ground her teeth with the thought.

"Y'alright, Em?" Alex popped his head over their divider, concern littering his face. "Haven't seen you sit so straight since you got road sick.

Maia barked out a laugh, that memory flooding her. She was sick, sicker than she'd ever been, but they were on a time table and Maia wouldn't be the one to slow them down. So she sat, hugging the toilet for nearly 18 hours, Andrew behind her the entire time. He held her hair, stroked her back, and brought her water to rinse her mouth out.

"Fine, just nauseous," She replied, fully aware that the nausea was not from the shockingly smooth plane ride.

"You could try talking to him," He picked up on her lie.

"Oh, I tried. I tried a million times." She scoffed. "He's too busy with other things..." she sneered to her left, watching Natalie throw a grape and duck expectantly. "So why should I worry about it?"

"You're getting defensive—"

"I'm getting realistic," she corrected her friend, a hint of sternness in her voice.

Alex shook his head and ran his hand through his hair. "Did you ever think he might be trying to make you jealous?" He scoffed.

Maia risked the look to her left again, and caught Andrew watching Natalie with the same level of focus he used to have for her.

Andrew lifted his eyes. Maia pressed play on her movie and put her other headphone in.

"He'snot, but thanks for trying."