Ch. 16- Disappointments Over Faith

Aria's POV:

I could hear the Principal pacing back and forth in his office on the phone with somebody, panicking like crazy. Sitting in the little lobby outside of Dumphrey's office was not exactly how I wanted to spend my first day.

When I got up to my homeroom class, the teacher began reprimanding me before she saw the aftermath of the minor setback I was put through. She didn't seem to care but once she heard my name, Aria Hart, she almost screamed.

One thing led to another, and now I'm stuck in the little seat as I fidgeted around. They were going to call Lawrence and I was fine with knowing that. But Lawrence is already accusing me of making two, young twins victims almost 7 years ago. So it really wasn't in my favour to have my image even more muddied than it already was.

"Would you like some water, Miss Hart?" I jump at Mr. Dumphrey's out-of-the-blue appearance from beside me. "Or how about some ice?"

"Nah, I'm good," I muttered, creeped out at his sudden presence.

"Well if you need anything until your older brother comes, please do let me know."

I shut my eyes and grimace at the thought of this new information. Lawrence was alright, he was calm and had himself collected at all times. But Adrian was just scary as hell, Landon has some anger issues he needs to get in check, and Jeremiah seems to not like me a lot.

As if on cue, Jeremiah comes busting into the little lounge room, swinging his head frantically before his eyes locked onto my bruised-up figure slouched onto the couch.

"What the fuck happened, Aria?" He angrily yells so loud, that I cringed. "It's your first day here at school and you get beat up?"

I stay silent, debating whether or not I should correct him, so he takes his time to start interrogating me.

"Who was it? Just tell me, Aria. They shouldn't be messing with the Hart's. Tell me you at least got a punch back."

"An are you okay would be nice," I muttered to myself as I shuffled in my seat, wincing at the sudden pain in my back.

"Did they fucking try to strangle you?" Jeremiah mutters, tilting my chin with his fingertips as he inspects my neck with wide eyes.

I swing my head to the side, rolling my eyes as I sink deeper into my seat trying to avoid his burning gaze physically. He could barely tolerate me this morning, why was he all up in my business now?

"Fine then," Jeremiah says, making me curious. "You can ignore me, but you will have to tell the truth to Adrian.

I rolled my eyes as if I didn't care but as much as I hated to admit, Jeremiah was right. If Adrian comes down here and asks questions, he will know when I'm lying.

Speaking of the devil, Adrian and Jaden stalked into the lobby room, immediately changing the atmosphere for a darker tone.

They both were in their usual expensive suits with their suffocating cologne that had the same worth as my education. Everything became focused on the two dramatic men who walked in, and Mr. Dumphrey bowing slightly to them was the cherry on top.

"She looks pretty roughed up, Adrian," Jaden states as he eyes me up and down. "Might as well pay me my money now."

"You guys betted on me?" I gape, bewildered at the thought of it before muttering to myself, "I don't know why I find that surprising."

"What happened?" Adrian demanded as he sat on the sofa across from me.

"Nothing really," I shrugged, fighting back the pain in my shoulder. "I made some new friends, that's all."

"So if I were to pull up the camera footage, nothing would seem out of the ordinary."

Okay, pause.

If I tell him the truth, it will probably either go downhill or not end up so bad.

But if I lie... well, he'll find out either way.

Rolling my eyes, I explained. "I didn't swing first, the guy did-"

"Guy?" Jeremiah interrupts, standing up infuriated.

"Yeah, guy," I give him a dirty look before continuing. "Ivan or something, so I defended myself against him."

"Why didn't you try to calm-" Jaden began suggesting.

"I tried telling them I was just tryna get to class, but those bitches were just so persistent in trying to get me jumped."

"There was more than one?" Adrian questions with an eyebrow cocked.

"Yeah, but they can't fight for shit. It was embarrassing." I chuckled to myself.

"And where did this happen?" Jaden asked, intrigued.

"It was in that stairwell nobody goes through," I said, waving my hands dramatically in the air as I continued. "It's actually kinda stupid how people avoid it for no reason at all. It works perfectly fine!"

"I hate to interrupt," Mr. Dumphrey pokes his head in through his office door and looks at Adrian for permission to continue.

Adrian gives him a slight nod to keep going. "Mr. Hart, I know you are aware of our policies on using violence against other students. The Hart's have been coming to this school for generations now and everybody knows how the school does not tolerate such... behaviour."

Adrian pauses for a second too long as he stares at Mr. Dumphrey. Was he going to go ballistic for making me sound like a crazed animal? Especially in front of these controlling freaks?

"You're right." Adrian bluntly puts it, causing my movements to alter slightly. "Aria used to go to another school with different expectations. I'll make sure to bring it up at home."

Mr. Dumphrey grins wide as I cocked my head to the side, trying to process what I heard.

"So you're basically saying I'm the one at fault." I blurt, my heart racing fast and my ears turning hot with fury.

"Nobody said that, Aria-" Jeremiah tried explaining but I was already on my feet.

"This is fucking bullshit," I remark before slipping my bag on and making my way to the door before turning around to look Adrian dead in the eyes. "You shouldn't have come at all if you were just gonna make me look like a troubled kid."

Something dark stormed through Adrian's cool, grey eyes as he looked in my way. He knew I felt slightly hurt, I could tell he knew, so I lowered my head and walked out of the door.

If there was anything I learnt from what had happened in that lounge room, it was that you shouldn't put even the tiniest amount of faith in someone.

The disappointment will always remain great.

---------------------------------------------

LLA 🕊

didnt know u like that but yeah.