7: What's with Him All of a Sudden?

The school in the morning was always so quiet, especially for someone like Jeno, who came to school far too early

The school in the morning was always so quiet, especially for someone like Jeno, who came to school far too early. He was lucky that he didn't need to ride a bus to school, so he came a lot earlier than everyone else. As he was walking, he was stopped by the sound of a bike's bell ringing, and he turned around to see a familiar face biking towards him.

Mr. Chi says he hates riding cars when he lives in such a beautiful place. He spent a few years in the city for his degree and licensure but has said that he dreaded every second he was in the city if it wasn't for a certain individual that made it bearable.

"Mr. Chi! Good morning," Jeno says, bowing his head towards the teacher who makes a stop by him.

"Come on," Mr. Chi puts his hand on Jeno's shoulder, "there's no need for too much formality. I've seen you since you were this," he puts his hand below his shoulder, "tall."

"It's weird."

"Come on," Mr. Chi Kihyun pats his shoulder, "its been years since I last heard it." One thing about Mr. Chi is that he never really acted all teacher, like when they were outside of school, and Jeno has sometimes forgotten that he was actually his teacher and not only that but the academic chair of the school. He especially forgot about it when he visited their home, and in moments like that, he was nothing more than his sister's boyfriend.

"You're in awfully good mood."

"I drove to the city over the weekend and spent time with Jinae."

Jeno nods his head. "That's why," he says as he starts walking to the school.

Mr. Chi gets off his bike and drags it on his right side as he walks side by side with Jeno. For a few seconds, Jeno was reminded that when Mr. Chi was in high school and he was still in grade school, he would ride his bike as he brought him to school, especially after his mother fell into depression and his sister was the sole person comforting their mother. Jeno distinctly remembers the small tub of ice cream they would share just to stall time because, as he returned home every night to a mother who was being driven to insanity and a sister making sure their mother doesn't drive herself mad, he was reminded of the effect of the betrayal of his father to their family.

Jeno looks down, sort of feeling a bit guilty about treating Mr. Chi a little too cold.

"I heard about the situation with the tutoring."

Jeno's head snaps upwards. "You did?"

Mr. Chi nods his head. "But Jinae advised me not to intervene and check if the two of you resolve the situation on your own."

"You told my sister?"

Mr. Chi looked at him for a second. "Of course I did. You're my student but at the same time, you're her younger brother."

"Well," Jeno takes a deep breath in, "you don't have to tell her everything."

Mr. Chi sighs. "In the years I've watched over you, Jeno, this is the first time you're acting like this. You were always so kind and obedient, why are you suddenly always so angry at Eunji?"