Chapter 8

*Rythian’s POV*

I curse under my breath as I look around to see Lalna’s castle. “I didn’t even know he had a portal. I was expecting to end up under Honeydew Inc.” I say feeling frustrated and a bit nervous. I wasn’t Duncan’s favorite person. “And it’s night, wonderful.” I add sarcastically.”

“Well, since its night he should be sleeping. We’ll just wait until morning to sneak out.” I set Zoey on her feet again and let her lean on me. “I mean, if he doesn’t see us he can’t attack us right?”

Zoey’s calm and reasonable tone helps me to think. “Yeah, yeah you’re right. We’ll have to wait until he turns the force field off. If we turn it off we’ll have to leave it off and he’ll know someone was here.” I didn’t want to have to wait and hide from Duncan, but it was the only choice we had if we didn’t want to get into a conflict with him. And at the moment, he had the advantage.

“Should I break the portal?” I ask turning towards it.

“I don’t know. If it is his, then breaking it might upset him. But if it isn’t, he’ll know someone has been here because of it.” She bites her lip looking deep in thought. “Break the portal piece but not the obsidian. Hopefully, if it is his he won’t get upset because all he has to do is relight it. And if it isn’t, he can just get rid of the obsidian.”

I nod and take out my pick axe from my Alchemy bag before destroying the portal. “Let’s hope it is his.” I look around. We weren’t technically inside his castle, but we were inside the force field. Nowhere I think he might see us though which makes me feel a bit better. I help Zoey sit down and she leans against the obsidian, putting her head in her hands.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” She whispers pulling her knees to her chest.

I sit next to her and put an arm around her. “We’ll figure this out. Relax. Whatever is wrong with you, there has to be a cure.” I tell her reassuringly even though I was scared myself.

“Rythian, do you think my father tried to change me? Am I gonna turn into a blaze?” Zoey asks a few minutes later.

I sigh. “I honestly don’t know Zoey. I really don’t.” I wish I had more of an answer for her, and for myself, but I had no idea what was going on with her any more than she did.

*Zoey’s POV*

A few hours later the sun starts to rise, and so does Rythian. He stands up and helps me to my feet as well.

“Can you walk?” He asks looking at me with concerned violet eyes.

“I-I don’t know.” I say truthfully. I felt wobbly on my feet and I still felt light headed.

Before I can add anything he picks me up into his arms again. I felt too tired to protest, and Rythian didn’t seem to mind. I lay my head on his shoulder to keep the world from spinning so much.

“The force field should be going down soon. We’ll just wait near it so as soon as it goes down, we can leave.” Rythian explains to me his plan even though I’m only half listening.

When we get near the force field I feel Rythian stiffen. He sets me down on my feet and I have to lean against the force field itself to hold me up.

“I hear Duncan.” Rythian tells me looking cautiously around us.

In that same moment I hear whistling coming from nearby, I just can’t tell where.

“Dammit I’m an idiot.” Rythian whispers more to himself then to me.

“Why?” I ask.

He runs a hand through his hair, which he often did when he was anxious, nervous or stressed. “The switch to the force field is right there, if he flies up to it, and happens to glance over here, he’ll see us.” He says pointing over to the switch.

“Well, let’s hope that doesn’t happen then.” I say softly.

*Rythian’s POV*

I hated this. If I were on my own I would just attack Duncan and leave, I wouldn’t even think twice about it. Or I would take down his force field on my own. I wouldn’t be hiding from him, waiting for him to take his sweet time. I knew most of my nerves weren’t about being found by Duncan. I’m pretty sure I could take him, or I could bargain. My nerves were for Zoey. I didn’t know what was wrong with her and I hated feeling so useless.

“Rythian, did you hear me? Are you ok?” Zoey’s voice brings me out of my daydream of fighting with Duncan.

I shake my head. “I’m fine, you obviously aren’t and I need to get you home but this fool is delaying me.” I say angrily as I glance over to see a bit of Duncan’s blonde hair.

“I’ll be fine Rythian.” I turn towards her and she smiles at me.

I hope so.