The Intruder

A/N It's everybodies favorite episode! The beginning of magic for our two humans! This was another fun episode to write and I ended up rewriting it three or four times because I was having such a hard time picking between different ways to spin the story. I'm super proud of how it turned out and Neo said my grammar and spelling was way better than usual, so that's gotta count for something? Right? Enjoy the chapter folks!

Luz held her phone close to her face as she recorded King. "And here we have the most fearsome creature in the world, the King of Demons." She slowly zoomed out from his eyeball to reveal King trying desperately to get a duck themed sock off his snout. "Facing his natural enemy, the ducky sock."

King, angrily tearing the sock pieces, stood and punched the remains as he cried out," Where are you now, ducky sock?!"

Luz caught his attention as she tilted her head away from her phone. "So, why'd you call us here again?" Ashton, watching a video on his phone beside her on the couch, snapped to attention as King scrambled onto the coffee table (or maybe apple blood table, since coffee didn't seem to really be a thing in the Demon Realm).

"Oh yeah," King grinned eagerly. "Humans Luz and Ashton, you've been so focused on Eda's work that you haven't learned anything about my kind. Prepare yourself for-" He ripped the cloth off the whiteboard behind him to reveal photos of demons. He slipped a teacher's hat on and idly twisted the cord on it. "Demons 101." The small demon easily slipped into teacher mode as he began the lecture to the two. "Demons like me are grim tricksters of the twilight, creatures of sulfur and bones."

"And cute, little paws." Luz added, zooming in on her camera.

King sighed in defeat. "And cute, little paws. True. We live only to create chaos and misery. Our only weaknesses are purified water and passive-aggressive comments. Sometimes."

"Oh, you guys are sensitive," Luz cooed.

Ashton raised an eyebrow. "Well yeah, if most demons are self-aware like humans and witches they're gonna have a self-esteem to worry about."

"Ooh," Luz raised her own eyebrow in response. "Sounds like you speak from experience."

"Ah, well-"

"Even demons have their inner demons," King interrupted, drawing the attention back to himself. Ashton let out a sigh of relief and sent the demon a thankful smile. King winked back and pulled down a picture of a pink turtle-esque demon. "The most powerful demon of all is the Snaggleback. He's a-"

"Bad boy!" Luz put a variety of colorful filters on her recording before adding a couple of stickers.

King held a groan. "Luz, pay attention. This information could save your life someday."

"No, no. I am so paying attention. This is my paying attention face," Luz put on a neutral expression and held a hand to her chin as she surveyed the board, humming to herself. Before anybody could call out her bad acting, lightning flashed through the windows and the heavy rolling of thunder followed only moments after.

"Uh-oh, looks like it's gonna rain," King grumbled.

Ashton leaned back with a groan. "Ugh, at least we're inside and not out there." He was not a fan of the rain. It made rooftops slippery and he always managed to end up drenched no matter if he had an umbrella or not.

Luz, on the other hand, sat up straight with a gasp. "I love the rain." She climbed to her feet and ran outside, ignoring King and Ashton calling her back. "I always love feeling the first few drops in my hair. I bet you do too, little buddy," she said, the last part directed at the blossoming flower in the ground.