Royal Doubt

Branch paced back and forth in his bunker wearing a cape and royal robe. He didn't know how to feel at this point, he had a lot going on in his head.

Branch: I don't think I can do this...it's too big of a responsibility...I don't know if this is the right place for me.

Poppy overheard Branch mumbling to himself and approached him wrapping her arms around him.

Poppy: Branch, what's wrong?

Branch: Oh, uh...hey, Poppy.

Poppy: You seem to have a lot on your mind, everything okay?

Seeing Poppy's sweet face, Branch couldn't hide from her. He couldn't lie to her either, he almost lost her that way.

Poppy: Branch...

Branch sighed and sat on his rug with his legs crossed.

Branch: I just...I don't know if I'm ready for this...being king? It just feels out of place for someone like me.

Poppy: Hold up, what?!

Branch: It just feels...wrong.

Poppy couldn't believe what she was hearing, out of place? Wrong? Was Branch even listening to himself? That didn't even sound like him! She sat down next to him and held his hands.

Poppy: Branch, are you even listening to yourself?

Branch: Yeah...?

Poppy: Aren't you the one that saved my life so many times?

Branch: Yeah...

Poppy: Weren't you the only Troll that helped me save our friends from the Bergens?

Branch: Yeah...

Poppy: And who put his life at risk to save his brother from fraudulent pop stars?!

Branch: I did...

Poppy pulled Branch into a tight hug and rubbed his back gently.

Poppy: All those things we've accomplished, it was all you. Who knows what could've happened if you didn't help me at Bergen Town, and I hate to think about what could've happened if you hadn't saved me...I wouldn't even be here today if it weren't for you.

Branch: I know, Poppy...that's because I care about you, you mean a lot to me.

Poppy began to blush and gave Branch a light kiss on his forehead.

Poppy: Worthy of a king, Branch. You're more than ready, you have a big heart and you're not afraid of anything. You're always putting the others before you, even with your brothers. You yourself said that you would do anything for Floyd when we went to go save him.

Branch: I did, didn't I...?

Poppy: Absolutely, Branchifer! You got this!

Branch: You sure...?

Poppy: Have I ever lied to you?

Branch: Many times.

Poppy blushed in embarrassment and face palmed.

Poppy: Way to throw me under the caterbus...

Branch: What?

Poppy: My point, Branch, you've already accomplished so much since we met. Even...dare I say it, more than my father could...

Branch smirked the minute Poppy said that.

Branch: Poppy, come on, you know it's true!

Poppy: I-I'm not denying anything...

Branch: Okay...

Branch suddenly started tickling Poppy's side and she began to laugh loudly. She hated being tickled but would let it slide if it was him.

Poppy: Okay, okay, okay! It's true, you did! You did! There, I said! Stop tickling me!

Branch crossed his arms and gave Poppy a minute to catch her breath.

Poppy: Phew...okay, all jokes aside, you're ready, Branch! I'm saying this because I care about you. You'd still be hiding out in your bunker if I hadn't been around for you.

Branch: I know, you were very stubborn!

Poppy: Hey!

Branch: What?

Poppy lightly tapped Branch's arm playfully.

Poppy: Do you ever get tired of throwing me under the bus?!

Branch: Nope!

Poppy's expression turned serious and she glared at Branch with her arms crossed.

Branch: I never get tired of this though.

Branch put a hand on Poppy's cheek and kissed her softly on the lips.

Poppy: Oh...me too, Branch, me too. Um...do you feel better now?

Branch: With you, yes.

Poppy: Good, 'cause we still have a coronation to attend to...King Branch.

Poppy stood up and offered a hand to Branch, he gladly took it and they left the bunker together. Although he was still nervous about this big leap, Branch knew that with Poppy by his side, he would be ready for anything.