ii: the threat of dementors

chapter ii

ASTRE LOVES THE WELCOME BROUGHT BY THE GREAT HALL.

The entire universe is above them, the speckles of stars and the massiveness of some galaxies so close to touch yet out of reach. Being named after the word star itself, Astre has an unexplained connection with the heavenly bodies twinkling their conversations with one another and to the humans who care enough to listen. It has always fascinated her, leading her to fully immerse herself in the reasons why the constellations were meticulously placed where they are now or how they came about their names.

Her middle name is one unfortunate constellation — Cepheus, the King. He was a poor soul who was descended from one of Zeus's many conquests. It's rather unfair yet beautiful — how the King was able to be commemorated in the sky. Altair's names are both stars and it's one of the many names Astre finds so pretty, to write, to listen, and to pronounce. Maybe it's because they were both given names alluding to the heavenly bodies that she has taken a liking to anything within the night sky.

The returning students walk underneath this faux blanket of the stars to their respective tables and Astre finds herself waving to her brother before taking her place beside Padma and a girl one year her senior, Cho Chang. Students proudly bearing the azure and bronze tie talk with each other after not having face-to-face interactions during the summer.

"Oh, you look lovely as ever, Astre!" Cho starts as a greeting. "Summer has done you well, I suppose?"

Astre shakes her head. "It's the same old routine, Cho; enjoying the quaintness of our hometown and reading mostly." A sheepish smile paints itself on her lips. "I guess it's a little boring."

"No, no, definitely not," the older girl reassures her, her eyes warm and wrinkling at the corners. "It's charming. Surely you have books to recommend this year. I can't wait for another round of stories to ensnare me."

"I'll be sure to give you the list after we unpack," Astre answers with a beam, lifting her cheekbones until she is glowing with happiness. The sight makes the older girl falter, her eyelashes blinking in a daze that renders her motionless. Astre finds it concerning — her friend trailing off in thought. "Are you alright, Cho?"

Red blossoms on Cho's face before turning to the long wooden table. She casually shrugs, "Just wishing dinner would come sooner; I'm famished." She whispers the last part so that Astre is the only one who can hear. Then, she gives Astre a measuring yet kind look, one that says she appreciates what she sees. "I pray for the poor lads who will try to get a little bit of your time. Maybe I will join your brother," she nods in the direction of the Slytherin table, "in warding them off."

"That's," Astre lightly laughs, a twinkle in the air, "reassuring. Thank you, Cho."

Though she is perfectly fine with rejecting a couple of confessions, Astre still appreciates that her friends express concern for the smallest things that won't even make a dent in her life. This year at Hogwarts will be another one that will further open her understanding of the world, having lived with her Muggle aunt her entire life. There will be no space for any distractions in her way of maintaining her academic standing.

She attentively watches on as the Sorting finishes with the last student bounding over to the Hufflepuff table and the Headmaster assumes the podium to make his speech before dinner commences. Albus Dumbledore is a figure that even the stars revolve around. When he clears his throat, the chattering of the students halts and all eyes fall on him. He might look like an old man who will fall from a single gust of wind but he carries an almost ancient magic in the makings of his wand and each strand of his long silver hair. Astre finds herself straightening her posture to look at the centre of the Great Hall, her legs carefully slanting and ankles crossing together.