¥ 1

Nadine Raelynn Diggs

Coming out of the jailhouse with my bag of clothes in one hand and my phone in the other, I saw my brother leaning on his car, making me smile.

"Wsp, lil one!" he yelled, smiling. I ran to him, jumping into his arms. "Omg, I missed the fuck outta you, Nadine!"

I teared up. "I missed you too," I pulled back from the hug, looking at his face. "You look just like Daddy."

He pushed me. "Girl, bye, soundin' like Momma n shyt. Anyway, c'mon, I'm gettin' itchy being in front of this jailhouse," I rolled my eyes, going to the passenger side.

Opening the door and got in, "Hmm," he handed me a sandwich from Mickey D's, "I know yo ass haven't had real food in a while," he smirked, laughing.

"Haha, very funny, Nathaniel," his eyes got wide, and he put his hand over my mouth, "Girl, what the hell wrong widd chu? The feds watchin'," he looked at me like I was crazy.

I smacked his hand off my mouth. "Nigga, just drive," he pulled off, and I opened my sandwich, seeing it was a sausage egg and cheese McGriddle, which was my favorite.

My mouth watered just looking at it. I hadn't had real food in 6½ years. I bit into it and moaned as the flavor hit my mouth. I chewed slowly, just savoring the taste while my eyes were closed.

"Damn, bitch, is it det good," my brother mugged, looking at me. I nodded my head, smiling. "Dis shyt feels like heaven," I said as I bit into it again.

He laughed. "How do you know what heaven feels like?" as we stopped at a red light, "I did die twice," I held up two fingers.

He squinted his eyes and tilted his head, "But did you go to heaven or hell?"

I mugged him. My ass was in hell, but he don't need to know all that. "You askin' too many questions, big dawg," I took my last bite, balling the wrapper in my hand.

"Exactly 'cause yo stupid ass was in hell. Hope now that you out, Yeon do all det shyt uu used ta do," he preached as the light turned green, causing him to drive again.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, putting the wrapper in the McDonald's bag. "Bubba, please don't start," I leaned my head on my hand as my arm leaned on the car door.

"Nah, Nadine, you can't do all det shyt nomo, or you gon b right back where you just came from," he calmly told me.

I mugged the air. "But didn't you just get out 2 years ago serving a 10-year sentence?"

"Don't do it, Nadine. Don't flip dis shyt on me," he chuckled, but I knew he was getting mad by how hard he was gripping the steering wheel.

I scoffed. "Whateva," was the only thing I said as I looked out the window as the scenery changed from all big and beautiful houses, clean streets, and mostly white privileged parts of town to the middle class.

We pulled onto a street that I was unfamiliar with. "Where are we going?" I looked over at Nathaniel, but I was ignored.

I sighed as we pulled up to a black and grey two-story house. I looked in awe. He opened the garage, and as it opened, I saw another car in there as he pulled in beside it.

He cut the car off, getting out. I didn't know what to do, so I stayed put in the same position. "Fuck you doin' get out the damn car," my brother yelled as he stood in the doorway of a door leading to the inside.

I mugged and got out, grabbing the McDonald's bag along with my bag of clothes, and putting my phone in my pocket.

I opened the door. "Yeon have ta yell, it's not that serious," as I closed the door, "Well, quit acting fuckin slow," he yelled once again.

My eyes started to water. I hate being yelled at, det shyt should be a crime, 50 years to life.

I blinked my tears away, following him inside.

We went past the kitchen. It was also beautiful, marble counters and floors with some silver appliances, black cabinets with white door handles. White stools sat on the island that was in the middle of the kitchen.

Then we walked past the, I guess, living room. It was a black couch with white and grey pillows long grey curtains hanging from the windows and a big Roku TV planted into the wall.

We made it to the staircase. I saw random pictures on the wall that somehow matched the theme of the house.

We walked up the steps, leading to another living room upstairs. It was another black couch with different types of plushie pillows on it, with two big blue beanbags on either side of the couch. There were black weed symbols all around the area. I saw 4 customized rolling trays with blunts on them sitting on a glass table that was in the middle. A black rug was under it, and a TV bigger than the one downstairs was in the corner of the wall, with gaming systems sitting on a shelf on the wall. It was a PS5, an Xbox, and a Nintendo Switch.

From what I observed, I knew this was a hangout spot. We walked down the hall, going to a room that was at the end of the hall. NJ opened the door, revealing a girly but boyish-type room.

He moved to the side, gesturing for me to come in. I saw a big queen-sized bed in the middle of the room, the comforter on the bed was black with pink, green, and black pillows. There was a big Princess Peach plushie in the corner of the room with a slightly smaller Yoshi plushie beside it.

It was a pink, green, and black-themed type of room. LED strips outlined every line and crack of the 4 walls that were in the room, even the doors. The color was green, which I liked.

The walls were plastered with old CD records and some posters that matched my room.

A vanity sat on the other end of the room with Bath and Body Works perfume and hair stuff on it, with a pink fluffy chair in front of it.

There was a big pink and black rug on the floor that spelled out my nickname Lynn, with another one under my vanity that was green and black that spelled out Ray Ray.

A TV with LED lights behind it sat on the wall in front of my bed, and a mirror with cotton on the rim, indicating clouds, sat in the corner of the room with shoes

I smiled, looking at the room in awe. "Yo clothes in the closet," my brother said. I nodded.

"Thank you, Bubba, I appreciate it," I smiled back at him, causing him to smile back. "It ain't nun," he waved me off.

I shook my head, smiling. "Who decorated 'cause I know yo remedial ass didn't," his smile turned into a mug, making me laugh.

He smacked his teeth. "For ur information, luh girl, I did dis shyt myself. Nobody knows you like I do," I nodded in agreement.

"Nie get cho funky ass in the shower," I mugged him. "Uu just ruined the moment," he just sat there laughing.

His laughter calmed down. "Oh, and here can't be walking around with a fuckin iPhone 6," he threw me a box. I read it: 'iPhone 16 plus.'

"It was an 8, hop off my phone, nigga," he waved me off, closing the door, leaving me in here by myself.

I smiled, looking around. I haven't been free for 6½ years, and so far, I'm loving the outside life right now.

I went into the closet, seeing hella clothes on hangers hanging up. I saw a luh baggy at the bottom. I crouched down, and grabbed the bag, seeing Ethikas and PSDs bra and underwear sets, along with a variety of socks.

I picked out some undergarments and some black socks, putting the bag back down. I looked through everything, seeing a mixture of boy clothes and girly clothes, which I loved.

I left it out there, closed it back, put my stuff on the bed, going into what looked like a connected bathroom. It was a regular-themed bathroom, but what was different was that it had fairy lights and green leaves hanging from the ceiling. Glad he got high ceilings 'cause if it was low ceiling det shit would've been in my face.

I looked at myself in the mirror, my pink locks in a bun on the top of my head. I tilted my head to the side, looking at the name 'αμιρ' that was plastered on the side of my neck behind my ear.

So yall this is my first book so sorry for any mistakes, my dumb ass tried to use chatgpt so my stuff can look neat but I forgot I had Grammarly