Chapter 3 | Discussion

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honour, which is one more than you have!" Rhodes was speaking to Sam.

You were all in the living room, only 20 minutes after Ross left, just discussing these Accords, or - more accurately - arguing about them.

You were sitting on a couch, next to Natasha, your Dad laying behind you two. Wanda was sitting on one oppposite you with Vision at her side. Steve was sitting in a chair facing forward, inbetween the two couches. Sam and Uncle RoRo were arguing behind him.

"So let's say we agree to this thing, how long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam contradicted Rhodey. You notice your Dad roll his eyes, meaning 2 things: he was annoyed at their fighting, and he didn't see a point to their fighting, because he had already made up his mind.

Rhodey continued: "117 countries want to sign this, 117, Sam, and you're just like 'Nah, that's cool, we got it'?"

"How long are you gonna play both sides?" You noticed Sam getting agitated more and more. You didn't like to see the Avengers like this. You didn't like to see your family like this.

Vision then, to your surprise, spoke up, "I have an equation."

You turned your head away from RoRo and Sam, looking at Vision with furrowed brows, awaiting his 'equation'.

"Oh, this will clear it up!" Sam said, you snorted.

Steve finally looked up from reading the Accords and looked at Vision, like the rest of you did.

"In the 8 years since Mr. Stark announced himself as IronMan the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially." He took a brief pause, looking around at you all, "During the same period of time, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve said, voicing your exact thoughts.

Vision spoke again: "I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict, breeds catastrophe. Oversight, oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom." Rhodes said, as he looked over at Sam.

You finally decided to speak up, "Our strength is what keeps the world safe. Yes, it invites challenge but challenge is always there. We sign this and we might not be there to fight the challenge. And if something happens and we're not sent out to fight, and the world, y'know, ends or, gets taken over, it is our fault. But if we don't sign we still have our free will, then if something comes we can fight it. And then if the world ends, as it were, then it's not our fault, because we still tried. We still fought. We still Avenged."

"Boom right back at you." Sam said, smiling kindly at you.

"Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyper verbal." Nat said, in a cheeky tone, with a smirk on her face. You looked at your father, turning your whole body to be able to do so.

"That's 'coz he's already made up his mind." Steve spoke.

"Boy, you know me so well." You loved your Dad's sarcasm, lucky, because you'd inherited a lot of it.

He then sat up.

And spoke again: "Actually, it's 'coz I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache."

Bullshit, you thought.

You gave Nat a 'he's totally bullshitting right now' side glance which she happily returned as your Dad walked over to the kitchen island. Your gaze landed on him, once again.