24. Jealous

FLASHBACK

Ever since the day Riley had been marked, Killian knew who exactly she belonged to. It was a familiar scent, one which had always lingered around him for as long as he was back home at the Mayfield Mansion.

However, since he hadn't yet told her he was a werewolf, there was nothing he could say about it. He had also made sure to hide his wolf regardless of who was around him.

On the day that he met her at the clothing store and she ran away from him, he thought he could come to terms with Hunter's scent all over her, but he still refused to give up on her.

With his subtle hints for her to explain what was going on and her reason for avoiding him, he hoped she would open up to him soon, which was why he didn't force her to speak up.

But the longer he waited, the stronger his feelings for her became, and he needed to see her.

It was for this reason that for a start, he decided to go to Mrs Baker's house to find some answers. She was a human, and that made him wonder why Riley was the only one who was a werewolf.

As soon as he would speak to Mrs Baker, he knew exactly where to go so he could speak to Riley. It seemed that she would no longer return his calls and messages. For her, he was willing to go back to the one place he had vowed to never return.

Even when he had moved to Wulfuric Hills just to be close to Riley, he knew that it meant he was closer to the mansion, but he kept his distance and watched Hunter and his pack a few times from afar.

Before he could even get too close to Mrs Baker's house, his heightened sense of hearing picked up two voices, one belonging to Mrs Baker and the other belonging to Marcellina.

Since he could hear them from that distance, he stood in place, his ears perking up.

"Riley told me you raised her since she was a baby," Marcellina said. "She told me I could find you. I needed to see you."

"Is there a problem?" Mrs Baker asked.

"Not at all. I only wished to meet the woman who saved her when her parents were being murdered."

"How's she doing for now? I know it's you in charge of the assessment."

"So far, she's adapted well as the Luna."

"While that's a relief, I can't help but worry because of how you exposed her real identity."

"I have no regrets about it. You should know that it was absolutely necessary."

"Did you ever stop to think how exposing her would put her and Hunter in danger? She's a Mostyn and is now a target for so many more supernatural creatures."

At the mention of Riley being a Mostyn, Killian's usually blank expression turned to one of surprise as he raised his eyebrows.

He thought he knew it all, but it turns out he didn't.

Since he had just heard enough for him not to bother approaching the house and speak to Mrs Baker, he got away from that spot and waited for Marcellina to leave. She was the one he wanted to speak to for more information.

When she finally left Mrs Baker's house, he followed her into the woods

It seemed that Marcellina could pick up his strong cologne and heartbeat, but she still couldn't spot him and didn't know who it was.

Apart from his dominating strength and speed, Killian was also skilled at keeping himself hidden for as long as he wished. He was part of the Mayfields after all. That blood ran through his veins.