Chapter Nine

My first bubble bath was so nice, I fell asleep in the tub. When I awoke, the water was cold. I stepped out and wrapped a towel around my body. I looked at myself in the mirror. I let my hair free from its bun on the top of my head, and it fell down my back. Opening the drawer, I found a comb. It looked like an antique. It was silver with curling designs on the handle. I began running it through my hair.

I brushed my teeth and washed my face. And then I dressed in comfy clothes and sat on the couch in front of the t.v. I noticed a paper sitting on the coffee table and a cell phone. I don’t remember if that was there earlier when I took myself on a small tour of my new home. I picked up the paper and began reading:

Wren,

I forgot to leave this with you when I was here earlier. Every number you need has already been programmed in this phone. Including food delivery options, emergency services, and me. I had Mrs. Nora drop it by on her way home. Enjoy your space.

-Kian

I picked up the phone and swiped the screen to unlock it. Mama had one similar to this. Sometimes, I’d sneak and check it out. I scrolled through the contacts and found the restaurant I had eaten at when I first got here. I decided that burger and fries sounded like a good idea and called to have one delivered. While I waited for my food, I scrolled through the TV channels. Mama made sure we at least had cable. One of our few forms of entertainment. My food arrived and I ate it quickly.

The next week went by pretty much the same. I spent the next day in my little library. I read two novels and started a bigger book. The day after that, I went through all the things Kian had put here for me. I cringed at all the prices still on the clothes and cut them all off. And then I organized what little things I brought with me from the swamp. And the day after that, I watched a cooking show and recreated the recipe. And by the fourth day, I realized I hadn’t left my house.

I was still living like a prisoner out of habit, I guess. I dressed and decided I’d go explore the city today. The morning air was crisp and cool. I was walking through a small, outdoor market when I heard someone with a strange accent say, “Hello.” I turned to find a man. A vampire man. His hair was as black as a raven’s feathers with eyes to match. Pale, perfectly blemish-free skin and… freckles. They dotted his cheeks and nose. “Hi,” I smiled. He smiled back, and I noticed his perfectly straight white teeth. He held a brown paper bag and I wondered why a vampire would need groceries.

“I don’t think I’ve seen you around here. Are you new?” I nodded, “I got here almost a week ago.” Strange how time slipped by me while I was unknowingly keeping myself locked up in my house. It's already nearing a week since I escaped that prison of a swamp. “Nice. How are you liking it?” I browsed the fruits, looking for something I had never tried before. “It’s different from what I’m used to, but I’m enjoying it.” If he only knew what my ‘used to’ was. I selected a pomegranate and chucked it in my basket. Kian had left an envelope of cash next to the coffee pot with a note the same night he left the phone promising to get me a card soon to use instead.

“How about you? How long have you been here?” I walked to the next stand and grabbed a hand of bananas and sat them in my basket, as well. “In Vrale, 2 years give or take. I’ve been in this world since I underwent my transformation.” I glanced up at him. He was quite tall. Not as tall as Kian, but close. “If you don’t mind me asking, how long ago was that?” I asked. Learning I was wrong about this species has made me want to know more about them.

He shrugged, “Nah, I don’t mind. I’m only one hundred and two.” Still young then, I remembered from mine and Kian’s conversation that first night here. “My name’s Jack, by the way.” he held out his hand and I took it, “ Wren.” I said, shaking his hand. “What a lovely name, Wren. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” I smiled, but my lack of people skills had me floundering for something to say. After a moment, he said, “I need to get these to my roommate,” Reaching into his pocket with his free hand, “but before I go, can I have your number?”