27. Thomas's POV: Abandoned

With our limited equestrian abilities, Abigail and I require nearly four days to reach the farm that the elderly woman informed us about. Throughout the journey, we engage in constant arguments and disagreements. Despite being the only person I truly trust, Abigail remains my exasperating younger sister, and we have never excelled at spending extended periods of time together or getting along harmoniously.

"Is that the farm?" she inquires as we approach a collection of average-sized stone buildings, accompanied by four smaller circular huts. The place appears deserted and forsaken, devoid of any signs of horses, livestock, or human presence. "It seems abandoned."

"They are likely just temporarily gone for a few days," I casually reply, scanning the surroundings and noticing the mountains looming behind the farm. "We will set up camp up there until they return."

She grumbles but refrains from commenting as she guides Polaris towards a side trail leading away from the farm and up the mountain. We establish our camp at the highest peak closest to the farm, ensuring that we will be the first to learn of any arrivals. Hopefully, this girl called Destiny will surrender the vial without any complications. I might even offer to transport her back to her own time initially. It is probable that she accidentally traveled here and is currently overwhelmed, longing to return to the conveniences of modern plumbing and electricity. Though, in 2024, what is considered modern to me is already ancient. Flat-screen televisions and touchscreen phones were eradicated during The Great War, and now we rely on hologram watches and contact lenses for all our needs. Regrettably, the current lack of sufficient solar panels impedes the functionality of these devices unless we are inside the tent. I eagerly anticipate returning home, where everything is normal, and technology actually operates as intended.

"Mom is likely extremely pissed with you right now," Abigail remarks as she warms up some food using the microwave in the tent. Thankfully, we have this one place equipped with generators, modern plumbing, and electricity.

"She's going to be angry with you too, dumbass. You stole the blue vial and came along with me," I retort as I enjoy my steak and potatoes.

"I only joined you to rectify your mistake," she defends, settling down beside me on the couch to consume her unappetizing vegetarian soup. "Mom might understand that and perhaps not outright punish us for it."

"Yeah, right," I scoff, but her expression suggests she isn't joking.

"I'm serious. Thomas, you didn't just steal from our parents. You stole from the government. I also committed a theft from the government by taking the blue vial. Maybe I can escape with minimal consequences since it's my first offense, but you... Our parents can only do so much to shield you from the law," she states with genuine concern etched on her face.

"I am aware of that. I'm certain they will enroll me in some sort of program or take some action once we return," I acknowledge.

"You don't seem to grasp the severity of the situation, do you? They can't afford any more mistakes from you, Thomas," she asserts, her tone harsh and serious.

"They always say that," I argue in response.

"This time, they mean it. The Klyden are intervening. Mom and Dad are powerless to assist you," she reveals.

"Well, damn," I mutter. Just as I'm finally getting my life on track and overcoming my addictions, I've run out of chances. "What do we do now?"

"We'll figure it out once we're back home. You can't run forever; they will eventually track you down," she informs me.

"I can't go to Vezdarah. I can't go to that place," I shudder at the thought of being sent to those camps, where starvation and arduous labor to repair the areas most affected by radiation await. Surviving there is nearly impossible.

"I'm certain it won't come to that," she reassures me. "If it does, our parents will have something up their sleeve I am sure."

"If they can. Mom and Dad may hold some power, but they pale in comparison to The Klyden. I've really fucked up, Abby. I don't know what to do," I admit, my head sinking into my hands as I gaze at the soft white carpet.

"We're going to find the pink vial and go back home. Once we're there, we'll explain that it happened before you got sober, and we'll promise that you'll never touch either vial again," she states firmly, leaving no room for argument.

I can't help but feel a sense of resignation. Time travel has been my crutch for the past ten years since Chloe's passing. But with the restrictions in place, I can't go back to a time when I was already alive, having two versions of anyone coexisting is impossible. I'll never see her again. Time travel has only brought me trouble and heartache over the years. Maybe Dad is right, and I should consider taking over the company in a few years and settling down. Although the idea of marriage or having children makes me feel nauseous.

"I have your back." She interrupts my thoughts, staring at me with something that could be mistaken for concern on her face.

"Even if you still fantasize about being an only child?" I ask as a small smile forms on my lips.

She shrugs casually. "I've matured since the days of trying to drown you in the bath as children. Now, I enjoy the competition of being Mom and Dad's favorite child, especially when I always come out on top. Being the favorite loses its charm when you're an only child."

I roll my eyes playfully. "Wow, thanks for helping me out of pure love," I reply sarcastically. Abigail just smiles at me before heading upstairs to the bedroom, while I prepare to make my own bed on the couch. I try my best to push away thoughts of the camps in Vezdarah. My friend Jason was sent there years ago for breaking too many societal rules, without the support of money or family like I have. I never heard from him again. No one ever hears from those who go beyond the wall. I can imagine the desolate wasteland that lies beneath, with camps filled with people living in terrible conditions, working themselves to exhaustion until radiation claims their lives. The only solace I find is in picturing Chloe's mismatched eyes, one brown and one green, filled with love and emotion. It's enough to make my heart ache as I finally drift into a restless sleep, dreaming of the girl I once loved and lost.