Chapter 7

I am no stranger to the dark
"Hide away, " they say
"Cause we don't want your broken parts"
I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars
"Run away, " they say
"No one will love you as you are."

But I won't let them break me down to dust
I know that there's a place for us
For we are glorious!

(Song This is me by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul from the film Greatest Showman)

Severus stood from his chair. Arms at his sides, head up, chest out. Whatever the 'judgement' he refused to show any discomfort, physical or emotional. He would never again bend to another's hate, no matter how grievous the injury. 

Harry glanced up at Hermione but her face remained blank. She could at least smile...or frown, whichever applied. His stomach churned.

Minister Kingsley Shacklebolt prefaced the court's decision with a question,

"Severus Snape, you have been charged and tried in this court before legally deputised magistrates. Your representative, Harry Potter, has presented your case against these charges with your consent. Do you, yourself, have anything to say before the verdict is passed on?"

Severus remained motionless, emotionless as he took in a measured breath and seized the opportunity afforded him by the court,

"Yes, Minister, I do."

Harry looked up at Snape and considered, 'well, if you're going to rip them a new one, at least the verdict is set already.' The crowded gallery gulped in a breath waiting to see what the one-time Death Eater/spy would unleash. A calculated exculpation or a vicious curse. Minister Shacklebolt and the rest of the magistrates set resolute.

At the center of the expectant quiet, Severus began,

"I have made mistakes, wrong choices...particularly when I was young. What youth has not? I do not offer excuses nor do I seek your mercy. I am not a noble man, but I was never a coward. And I will not cower now. My worth has always been called into question by the arrogant, entitled and self-righteous. 

"I learned, the hard way, that my substance lies in having endured. Whatever the outcome here today, whatever opinions others hold, I am a man of study, duty and conviction. My need to know, my hunger for knowledge led me to the Dark Arts. Not to the darkness. Forewarned is forearmed, is it not. But I am no less a man worthy to live free of abuse, bullying, prejudice and judgement. I always was, despite the privileged protestations of others. 

"Even if I am not...granted...more time, my hope is that those who exist under any sort of oppression or tyranny might find...in my story...the knowledge that they are as viable and worthy as any other. And find the courage to remove themselves from dehumanising, unacceptable situations. That is all I have to say."  

The gallery, the magistrates, as well as Harry, seemed to release the nervous breath that had gripped their chests. More than a few guilty parties lowered their eyes...some even within the magistrates. While the room remained silent, Kingsley read the verdict,

"Severus Snape, to the charge of Treason against the Ministry of Magic. It is the judgement of this tribunal, and in consideration of your role as agent of Albus Dumbledore for the last twenty years...the court finds you not guilty."

The low din in the courtroom was silenced as Minister Shacklebolt hammered the gavel down before continuing,

"To the charge of Murder of Albus Dumbledore--"