Chapter 20 : The Mask Falls Apart

Night descends, as the campfire burns on the firewood we managed to gather during our foraging. Bruce had asked to share the tent that I had slept in last night, and when I agreed after a long contemplation he disappeared into the tent, which was half odd and half Batman. I set the wild boar down and tied it to the same roasting spit, a spare tent pole to be exact. Setting the spit over the campfire to be roasted I sat down, just as Nyssa approached. "Another boar?" she asked, sitting down next to me. "The harvest seemed to be plentiful."

"Seems that way, but I also managed to catch some fish, if you prefer protein." 

"Any form of sustenance is considered fine Sayalfir." she said. "So... the rumors are true, you had entered a marriage with my sister's beloved, former beloved." 

"I..."

"No need to explain yourself Sayalfir, I am not like the cat burglar my sister's former beloved was involved with." she said. "My sister... she wasn't happy at first when she received the news, but then again, our father trained the both of you." 

"I was more worried about the safety of my children." I say. 

"She decided to acknowledge that her beloved... I should say Bruce now, had moved on from the both of them and found love in someone else." Nyssa said. "But the story of how the cat burglar trying to force you to leave Bruce is unacceptable."

"How long have she been spying on me?" I say, a small smile on my lips. "To be clear, I rejected Bruce because of his feelings for Selina back in the day. Working with him was a chore because of this." Nyssa looked to one side, soon turning back to face me, her lips moving as she tried to say something Bruce emerged, not in his batsuit, but in his civilian clothing as Bruce Wayne. "You're..." I begin. 

"The Secret Service should have been panicking when Bruce Wayne disappeared from Wayne Manor after Alfred Pennyworth was found knocked unconscious in the study and the security system mysteriously disabled." Bruce explained. "And thanks for notifying me about your sister's decision Nyssa." he added. "I've heard everything while I was packing my suit."

"You're welcome." she said. "I'll leave the two of you alone, it seems that the two of you have a lot of things to discuss." with that in mind she got up and left, leaving Bruce and me alone by the fire. I tended to the fire in silence, keeping it alive to roast the boar. I'm not sure what to make of this, so I kept silent. Bruce gently placed his hand on mine, leaning in for a second kiss. As our lips made contact I brushed a hand against his cheek, as despite my stoicism on display, I secretly missed my husband. We let go of one another, while our foreheads touched. 

"That was..."

"I couldn't help myself." Bruce said. "I missed you."

"I understand." I say. "I'm sorry that I shot you with the longbow." 

"It's fine." he said. "It was a normal reaction, as you did not know whether it was a friend or foe."

"How was your arm?" I ask, as our foreheads parted and are now looking at one another in the eye.

"Still recovering." Bruce said, noting the bandaged part of his arm. 

"I wonder... how did you knock Alfred out?" I ask. 

"The little trick you pulled on me when I insisted on coming home with you to meet the parents so to speak." I smiled, turning away to hide the blush, as the smell of the roasting boar continued to fill the air. "I should have waited." he said. "I guess I deserved that stun gun attack." 

"It was my idea." I say. "I just... my grandparents had an unfavourable view of you, even though they accepted us to date and live together."

"Not to worry." Bruce said, brushing a strand of loose hair behind my ear. "I know my choices." I touched the strand of hair as I blushed uncontrollably. He took over and retrieved the already-cooked boar from the campfire. "Time to dust off the cooking skills I've picked up during my travels." he said. I laughed and took over, reducing the boar from its animal exterior to a platter of meat and carcass left out to be buried away from the cave as far as possible. "Why didn't Le Cordon Bleu come looking for you when they had the chance?" he asked, while I dissected the boar. "I went there before you know." 

"When we return... you'll be making breakfast for us... and our little angels." I say, transferring the freshly cut roast meat into a kebab. "I'm sure they would like to see their daddy wearing an apron for once."

"I'll take it as a compliment." Bruce smiled. "Isa... there's something I wanted to ask you."

"Which is?" I asked. 

"Duke's school called a day before. A Parent-Teacher conference will take place soon, and... I hoped that you can be there for him."

"Bruce." I say, holding his hand in mine. "I would love to." 

"I was worried that you would turn me down." he said. "After what happened... I don't know..." I understood and continued to hold his hand. 

"I did not know where Duke was during the party, but... I saw your three oldest wards and some members talking to her. While Damian is... still Damian, standing at the corner of the room and reading people in silence."

"I'm sorry that you have to face this without me." he said. "But I promise you, I will always be here for you when you need me." We kissed again, just as Candice and Philip emerged from their tent.