Keep Your Hair Down

The atmosphere in the Glade was humming with energy, much like you. A new boy had arrived that morning, and tonight would be your first party as an official Glader, rather than a Greenie. When you arrived a month ago, your celebration was awful; you technically didn't even attend. The boys had fun and got drunk while you cried in the Homestead, comforted only by Alby and Newt. After that fiasco, you were determined to be just as strong, emotionally and physically, as the boys. You worked hard, and eventually, they accepted you. Since then, you'd never felt any different from the rest of them. Despite your comfortability, however, you couldn't help but feel anxious as you helped Frypan in the kitchen.

"So what do you guys do? Are there games? Besides Gally's fights, I mean," you asked, trying to calm your nerves.

"Y/n, I told you a million times already today: there's a fire, we party, we make fun of the newbie, we all get drunk, and then nobody wants to work the next day. Fire, Party, Newbie, Drink. That's about it," he sassed, aggressively stirring some sort of soup, "Ain't gonna be fun tonight anyway, the Greenie's klunked his pants at least twice now. And that white boy afro sure ain't helping his situation."

He moved over to another enormous pot and tasted the contents. You followed him, standing with a hand on your hip.

"Of course it'll be fun. You guys had fun without me, remember?" you said, making him laugh.

"Oh, you bet we did! That was the night that Minho got drunk and kissed Ben. Good times, yes indeed," he replied gleefully, "Sorry you missed it."

You rolled your eyes as you finished cleaning up the counter. "I'm gonna go get ready," you declared, "See you at the fire."

"Getting ready for... Newt?" he asked giddily, wiggling his eyebrows. You punched him, but he just laughed. Ever since you'd arrived in the Glade, you felt a special connection with Newt, and the only person that knew about it was Frypan, your best friend. Newt was one of the only boys who didn't try to flirt with you, not to mention the fact that his eyes made you melt, and you wanted to faint every time he talked to you, which wasn't often. He made you anxious, but in the best way. It was a hopeless infatuation, you knew, but Fry seemed to understand.

"I'm not getting ready for Newt, you slinthead," you said with a nervous laugh, slightly embarrassed, "I'm going to be hot for me, not for some guy."

"You're a god-awful liar, you know that?" he replied, going back to his soup.

You were about to leave the kitchen when you heard Frypan speak up.

"Keep your hair down; Newt told me he likes it like that."

Wait, what?

Your eyes widened as you spun around, facing a grinning Frypan

"Newt talked about me?" you asked with disbelief, searching his eyes for answers, "I've barely spoken to him!"

"Just go get ready, lovergirl," he said teasingly, waving you away.

As you made your way to the showers, all you could think about was what Frypan said.
Newt talked about me.