Preach

You could feel Newt's eyes on you, but you didn't dare to look at him. Instead you focused on the fire, flickering alive in the newly found darkness, a stark contrast against the black. You closed your eyes and listened to the crackling, letting your anxiety melt away. Allowing your shoulders to relax, you exhaled slowly.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Newt suddenly spoke up, bringing you back to reality. How long has it been? Did you and Newt seriously sit there for a prolonged amount of time without words and it wasn't awkward? You looked at where he sat on the log, his eyes closed blissfully. The rowdiness of the party seemed to fade away, replaced by a comforting silence.

"Yeah, it is," you mumbled quietly, staring at it for a bit longer before tipping your head back to embrace the sky. The stars were shining brighter than you'd ever seen in the Glade, and it felt like the night itself was painted just for the two of you. You didn't notice as Newt got closer, but when you looked back down, his body was only inches away from you. You let out a hitched breath as you suddenly felt his hand sliding on top of your open palm, interlocking his fingers with yours. Despite your pounding heart, you rested your head on his shoulder, sighing peacefully. The two of you sat like that for what seemed like eons, silently admiring the flames and the sky.

After a while, Newt began to speak softly, mumbling something you couldn't understand.

"Hmm?" you murmured, pulling away to look at his face.

"I was just thinking, and, well-"

Newt was suddenly interrupted when two large figures came bursting through the flames, limbs flailing wildly as one tackled the other to the ground. Caught off guard, you lost your balance and fell backwards off the log, cursing out whoever ruined the moment. You scrambled to your feet, Newt yanking you out of the way as the two fighting boys almost pummeled you.

"What the shuck is going on here?" Newt yelled to no one in particular, still clutching onto you. Ben suddenly sprinted into view, out of breath.

"It's Gally and Frypan," he wheezed, "They got in a fight about a fight."

You glared at him, waiting impatiently for an explanation.

"It's hard to explain," he said with a wave of his hand, "They're drunk. They won't get off of each other. Just help me out here."

Newt squeezed your hand and gave you a look that seemed to be saying "I'm sorry, but I have to help because I'm an absolute angel. Also you're really hot" (ok, so maybe it wasn't that specific, but a girl can dream, right?) before diving into action, trying desperately to wedge himself between the two boys. He had a small frame, but he was surprisingly strong, and you watched in awe as he and Ben worked together to separate the fighters. Ben held Gally by the arms as Newt tried to pin Frypan to the ground.

"Frypan, what the bloody hell are you doing?" Newt shouted, attempting to hold him down.

"I won, Gally!" Frypan yelled, ignoring Newt, "You know I won! Fair and square!"

"You're an idiot," Gally grumbled, "You were out of the circle. You lost; that's how the game works!"

"Oh, I'll show you how I work," Frypan spat, reaching a new level of sass.

"EVERYBODY JUST SHUT UP!" you shouted, annoyed at the whole situation. You were amazed to find that all four of the boys froze in place, staring at you expectantly. Shuck, you thought, they want a speech.

"Well," you began, clearing your throat, "Okay, first of all, you're both stupid. What are you even fighting about? A game? Ridiculous. You're acting like a bunch of immature little boys, and I'm extremely disappointed in both of you. Of all the problems we have here, of all the shit we have to deal with, this is what you want to fight about? This is what's important? Get over yourselves."

"Preach," Ben blurted, receiving a kick from Gally.

After some surprise and hesitation, Frypan was the first to take responsibility, apologizing, while Gally still stood with a scowl on his face.

"C'mon, Gal," Ben coaxed, "Just apologize. You win every other fight; why get all worked up about one loss?"

"But I won!" Gally protested, stomping his foot on the ground, "I won and he knows it."

He broke free of Ben's grasp and stormed towards the hammocks, cussing and stumbling the whole way there.

"Goodnight, Gally!" Newt called out, only to receive an extremely vulgar hand gesture in return.

"Did that bloody slinthead just give me the finger?" he asked, still sitting on the ground, causing you and Ben to laugh.

"Wow, man. I think he did," Ben said, "He's really pissed."

"Yeah, no kidding," Newt mumbled. Frypan extended an arm to help him up, but as soon as Newt stood, he winced, emitting a sharp cry of pain.

A perfect first date, you mumbled under your breath, my best friend got in a fight and the boy I'm hopelessly in love with breaks a leg trying to stop it.