How Bloody Wonderful

"Are you okay?" you asked frantically, scared that you had hurt him.

"Sorry, love," he strained, "But I don't think we can do much more of this tonight, not in this state."

You scooted over, laying your head on his chest as he wrapped his strong arms around you.

"It's okay," you said calmly, and you meant it.  "I don't want this to go too fast, anyway.  I mean, tonight was the first time we've really spoken, and now we're, well, here?  How did that happen?"

Newt laughed, kissing the top of your head.

"You know," he said quietly, "we've actually spoken quite a few times before.  Remember your first night?"

"I try not to think about that," you mumbled, all of your insecurities threatening to surface.

"I remember it like it was a month ago," he began, and you couldn't help but laugh at his dorky joke.

"I'm serious though.  You were scared to death.  Couldn't remember your name, your family, your friends.  It happens to all of us, of course, but you were really bloody shaken up.  I remember I just wanted to tell you everything was going to be alright.  It made me feel something I'd never felt before."

You smiled at him, beaming. You made Newt feel something he's never felt before? You adored him more and more with every word that came out of his beautiful mouth.

"Actually, that's not all," he mumbled nervously.

"What else?" you demanded.

"No, it's embarrassing," he protested with a wary chuckle.

"Tell me," you encouraged, kissing his cheek.

"Okay, you have to promise not to freak out."

"Cross my heart."

"Okay," he began, wincing, "You might have sort of slept in my bed that night... maybe."

"What?" you asked nervously, sitting up and staring at him.

"I figured you wouldn't remember.  You blacked out that night.  Alby left; he figured you would be okay, but I stayed with you all night.  It felt so weird to leave you there.  I couldn't stand the thought of you waking up alone and lost; it hurt to picture your eyes again, they were so full of pain.  I ended up carrying you to my bed.  You looked really cold, and I didn't have any blankets or anything, and I just couldn't watch it anymore.  I laid down beside you and tried to keep you warm until I had to leave that morning.  Since then I've always felt like I had to protect you."

You took it in, imagining it all as Newt recounted the story.  Your mind was suddenly racing; you remembered that morning, waking up in this bed, wondering how you got here but not caring.  It all made sense now.

"How could I forget that?"

"You were unconscious, love," he replied with a laugh.

"Thank you," you murmured, "I don't know what I'd have done without you."

"It was really you that saved me, honestly.  You were so beautiful.  Your hair was down, like tonight, falling along the bed like... I don't know, a waterfall or something.  I couldn't imagine my life before you were in it."

His voice was slowing down, and he seemed to be losing focus.  Must be the medicine, you thought.

"I just remember thinking 'How bloody wonderful would it be to have her here all the time.'  And here you are."

You smiled into his chest before snuggling closer.

"I don't know what to say," you whispered. 

"You don't have to say anything.  I've always felt something for you, y/n," he confessed as his grip around you tightened, "Since the very beginning.  I've just been too afraid to tell you how I feel."

"Second-In-Command?  Afraid to make a move?  Astonishing," you teased, kissing him on the cheek.  "It's okay, I've had an irrational crush on you since you let Gally win that race."

"How'd you know?"

"I don't know, but I could just tell.  He got real annoying, I remember.  He rubbed it in your face and you stood there and smiled. You're a good person, Newt."

"I'm flattered, really.  Right now though, I don't know. I feel so... sleepy" he whispered hazily, letting out a yawn.  The adorable, childlike way he said 'sleepy' made you want to kiss him again.

"It's the medicine, remember?  And it sounds like it's working."

He took a deep breath, and you could tell he was on the verge of sleep.

"Promise me you'll be here when I wake up this time," you whispered, feeling the warmth of his skin.

"Cross my heart."

You closed your eyes, growing accompanied to the sound of his heartbeat and the steady rise and fall of his chest, eventually falling asleep in his arms.

This time, he was there to stay.

---

author's note:

UPDATE!!! It's February 2016 and I reread this after what seemed like forever and I decided I want to add a part 2 after so many people requested it!
Expect morning after fluff and y/n telling all the juicy deets to a very supportive Frypan. Stay tuned, folks, I'm really excited about it.