Chapter 79: Ad Astra

The plan was decided. The Mane Six were reunited, and along with Sun and Death Drive, they were going to go on a mission across Equestria to stop all magic from being drained before it's too late. They needed to find a series of statues that Fantaga had sealed her power in for safekeeping... which suddenly wasn't seeming like a safe option, considering the fact that this mysterious villain knew where they were. Fortunately for them, Captain Celaeno - joined by Aello and Fantaga - was willing to take them all over the world to save it. It was just a happy coincidence that the locations of the statue were places likely to have some ancient treasures she could pawn off to someone for a high price, or even just keep for herself.

The black sky hanging above Ponyville gradually disappeared from their view as the ship carried them further away, but they could see other towns with the same unnatural shroud hanging ominously above them. Their first stop was the Kirin Village. The mares talked among themselves as they neared the Peaks of Peril, applauding each other for how courageously they had fought against the Nightgaunts a mere hour before. 

"I'm sorry I didn't do more to help, girls. I'm honestly pretty weak without my magic." Twilight modestly admitted.

"That's SO not true!" Pinkie objected. "But even if it was, you weren't just standing around doing nothing. You were sitting around, doing something!"

Twilight thanked her with a simple smile.

Death Drive looked at Sun. "What? No compliments for me?" the former asked playfully.

"Oh, I... I couldn't really see you. I'm sorry." Sun said, sighing.

Death Drive cocked her head. "Something wrong? It's Cozy, isn't it? Well, I hope you know that I'm with you - I hope she isn't evil again."

"Thanks. But I'm worried about something different, and a lot dumber... Y-you love me, right?"

Death Drive suddenly leaned in close to her face. "I wouldn't have kissed you if I don't." she whispered. "Besides, you're the one who gave me hope. Don't worry. If you don't believe me, I'll show you I love you with another little surprise like that, among other things we'll eventually do together..."

Sun smiled. She was confused with that last comment, but it was just Death Drive lightheartedly playing with her as usual.

"We're almost at the village! Everyone get ready to land!" Celaeno announced.

The heroines immediately felt a breeze of arid wind descend upon them. The ponies wasted no time getting off the ship when it landed, and thanks to Applejack, Fluttershy, and Sun's previous experience traversing the difficult terrain, it was relatively easy to find the path to the village.

As they journeyed, Twilight decided it would be a good time to explain something interesting that she knew about the statues that Fantaga stored her power within. "In Old Equestria, there were a secret group of expert magic users that kept it in balance. They were called the Maga. The Maga are the guardians of magic. There's a Maga for almost every pony race, but they lived so long ago, we might not even recognize what some of them are." Twilight explained.

 Fluttershy asked with a nervous tone, "What do you think happened to them, Twilight?"

The alicorn closed her eyes. "I don't know. I'm not even sure if the problem with magic even has to do with them. I'm just–"

Suddenly, a gasp was heard. Nopony knew who it came from until they heard a feminine voice call out, "Hey, I know you two!" 

Everypony's heads whipped around to face the source of the voice: a familiar kirin. At least, familiar to Applejack and Fluttershy, whom the kirin promptly greeted. "Applejack! Flamershy! I haven't seen you two since that coronation!" she excitedly spoke. "It did NOT go well–" she snarked, pausing with horror as she realized that she was right next to Twilight. "O-oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, Your Highness!" she apologized profusely with an embarrassed blush.