002

Xiao was suffering.

And his suffering was in the form of social interaction.

Upon arriving in Liyue Harbor, Aether and Lumine picked up Xiao and Zhongli from the airport. On their drive to their new residence, the twins informed the two that they had already found quite a few vision holders who had regained their memories.

One of them being the source of Xiao's suffering right now.

"Xiao! Xiaooooo!!"

"Will you stop being so irritating?" Xiao snapped at the hyper girl beside him.

"Hehe, why so grumpy? You're still the same, I see!" Hutao giggled, her pigtails bouncing as she skipped along the path.

"I am only in a bad mood because you are here," Xiao remarked. "Now will you explain why you dragged me out on the streets at 6am in the morning?"

"Wellllllll..." Hutao grinned. "Mr. Zhongli asked me to show you around Liyue Harbor! It's been quite a while since you've been here."

"Okay," Xiao replied, "But did it have to be you?"

Hutao gasped dramatically, "Excuuuuuuse me?! I am the best tour guide in all of Liyue, thank you very much!" She put her hand on her chest in mock offense.

Very much worn out by Hutao's hyperactivity, Xiao ignored her for the rest of the tour.

______________________________

Unfortunately, Zhongli took in Hutao.

When the excited little funeral director reunited with her consultant, she had 'accidentally' let it slip that she was currently living alone, subsequent to the death of her grandfather.

Since Hutao is a minor, Zhongli had offered her to stay with him and Xiao in their new house, in which Hutao very enthusiastically accepted.

Xiao was a lot less enthusiastic about this arrangement.

"Xiaooo! It's like we're siblings now! Ooooh can I call you gege?"

"No."

"That's great gege!"

"I literally just said no." Xiao glared at the bubbly girl who was currently desecrating his room.

"Exactly!" Hutao giggled. "Woahhh what's this?" She picked up a simple wooden flute with a jade charm attached to its side. "Can I try-"

Xiao immediately whipped around and snatched the flute out of her hands. He gingerly placed it down on his bedside table.

"What-" Hutao stared at him, bewildered.

"Please refrain from touching my possessions, Hutao." Xiao replied in his usual monotoned voice.

"That flute..." a realization dawned on Hutao. She gasped, "It belongs to that bard! Venti wasn't it? We met at Lantern Rite."

Xiao turned away, hiding his expression.

"Did he give it to you? You don't say... have you two been meeting up?!" Hutao excitedly skipped towards Xiao, peering down at his face.

She abruptly stopped as she focused on the pained expression on the young adeptus' face.

Hutao sat down next to Xiao on his neatly arranged bed. Silence filled the room for a few moments.