Chapter Two

Longing roils in the pit of my stomach as I set foot inside my pack building after weeks. Everything reminds me of him. Every single detail screams of his absence.

Death is unforeseen and unsought. It comes knocking at your door and suddenly life doesn't make sense. From the moment I was found by Alpha Renier half dead at the outskirts of their vacation home's hunting grounds, he considered me his own. His wife, however did not. The pack wasn't given much of an explanation about how the Alpha family suddenly had a new daughter. Most considered me to be an illegitimate child. This made Aria, Alpha Reiner's wife hate me even more so. She made her disdain pretty evident, further feeding into the rumours until they became half truths for everyone.

Rey, on the other hand, simply did not care. It was like I was never there.

I didn't matter.

I am shaken out of my trance when a there's a sudden pick in my heart beat. It thumps rapidly and continuously. I suddenly feel heavy for some reason. Something is wrong. Before I can figure out what, I catch the sight of our pack house's lobby.

It is completely abuzz with people. Humans, werewolves and hybrids. I even pick up a hint of witch scent. Witches are rare. Most of them died out in the Great War before the kingdom of Utrif was even formed. They're here for the Union meeting.

I slip past the rush, get into an elevator. I am welcomed with the sight of my pack mates, including Aria at the top floor. The whole floor quietens as I get off. Some of them offer their condolences and sympathies as I walk past them. Some offer prayers for me to get better.

Rey's office is at the end of the pack office. Behind tall dark wood doors. I walk inside.

He sits in Alpha Reiner's chair, surrounded by papers, files and envelopes. His dark hair is ruffled and messy, his shirt unbutton and his expression tired. There is darkness beneath his bright brown eyes that wasn't there the last time I saw him. He looks tired, completely enervated actually.

He looks up at me. "You're here."

I nod. There's silence for a minute.

He scribbles down on a piece of paper, leans down to open his drawer, takes a brown envelope out and puts it at the end of his desk. "Here."

I grab the brown envelope. Open it and get the contents out. There's a house deed, account transfer confirmation, passport and a plane ticket to Utrif. "Utrif," I say out loud. "This is a creative way to tell me to die."

Rey watches me for a second, a slight furrow forming in risen brows. The question in his eyes falls a second later, indication he realizes what I mean. "It's the safest place for you."

"A rogue?"

"You are not a rogue. Not anymore. You are a registered pack member and unless someone has a good reason to suspect the daughter of an Alpha, which I hope you don't give, no one will be any wiser." He leans back in his chair, arms crossed. "Rogues cannot look for you in Utrif and you can easily enter there. So yes, it is the safest place for you, a rogue."

"And if someone sees the—"

"As I said," he snaps, "unless someone has a reason to suspect you, they won't strip you down to look for a small tattoo, Leona. And even if someone sees it, it is an ancient mark. No one will know. So act like the daughter of an alpha, not a rogue on the run, and you'll be fine."

"Where in Utrif?"

"Hela Ti, a town in the outskirts. I have transferred ownership of our summer house their to you. You will also have a bank account in your name after you sign these papers and submit them there. I will send you a monthly allowance. You can tell me the whatever amount suits you. And if you wish to work there, I have someone I know who can find you a job. The town is in the outskirts but it is known for its peacefulness, so rest their for a couple of months. Hopefully till then this Rogue situation will be dealt with. Then you can either come back or stay there. It is up to you."

I still. Come back. "Come back?" I hate the emotion in my voice.

Rey doesn't look up. "Yes."

I stay quiet for a long while. My fists are so tight besides me. "Thank you," I say. I mean it. Rey was the last person I thought would help me and so I thank him in shock more than gratitude.

He nods as a response and grabs the piece of paper he was scribbling something down on and hands it to me. "Call this man once you get to Utrif. He will give you the keys to the house and help you settle in." A pause. "Meet the elders before you leave so it's not suspicious. Your is packed and in the suite. The car is waiting in the back. Leave directly for the airport from here. You only have three hours. The Utrifian delegation will be here first thing in the morning. So do not miss that flight."

     I grab all the paper work, my ticket and passport and turn to leave. I don't say anything as I grab the handle. Someone opens the door before me. Haze. The beta's son. The new beta. His father stepped down days after Alpha's death. Haze looks at me for a second, smiles and then moves past me.

     "The Utrifian delegation is here, Alpha."

     I haphazardly swirl back. Rey is looking at me. My eyes are wide. His face is unreadable but I can see the vein popping on his forehead.

     Something was wrong.