Negotiating the Reward

After going into the details a little more, Roxanne realized it was getting late when she checked the time.Thinking of her two sons waiting for her at home, she got up to leave. "I think it's time for me to go, but I'll be coming back tomorrow. In the meantime, call me if Old Mr. Queen has any problems."With that, she headed to the door with her medical bag in hand.Glancing at Roxanne's leaving silhouette, Jonathan called out to her, "Dr. Jarvis, other than treating Grandpa, I'm sure you have some other reason for being here."Stopping abruptly in her tracks, Roxanne suddenly remembered her objective for coming over.But Old Mr. Queen hasn't recovered fully yet. So, Jonathan...When Jonathan saw her stop, he softened his tone. "Don't you want to talk about it first before leaving?"Jonathan's intentions couldn't be more obvious.Even though she didn't bring up the matter of medicine supply, he was cognizant of her agenda. In fact, he was also interested in exploring the matter with her.However, Roxanne hesitated at being rewarded for a task she had yet to complete.After all, the Queen family had initially declared that they would only supply medicine at half price to whoever that cured Alfred.When she didn't say a word, Jonathan simply stared at her with a grin.Roxanne smiled back. "To be honest, I did come here to treat Old Mr. Queen after a friend told me that your family was willing to sell medicine at half price to whoever cured him. But now that he has only just awakened and his condition hasn't stabilized, I don't think it's appropriate to talk about the reward. At the very least, we can wait till his situation makes a turn for the better."Jonathan's smile broadened upon hearing Roxanne's answer. He then replied with even greater sincerity, "Dr. Jarvis, the fact that Grandpa is awake is already a miracle to us. As for his follow-up treatment, we have the utmost confidence in you. Consequently, you have earned the right for us to discuss your reward."Surprised at how much faith he had in her, Roxanne was briefly stunned. When she finally regained her senses, she took a seat on the couch."You were recommended by Dr. Galloway. When he came to see Grandpa back then, he did bring up the situation at the research institute. However, since he was unable to help Grandpa, the matter ended up in limbo."Jonathan explained further, "Now that he has sent you here, I'm sure it has something to do with the research institute. Is my guess spot on?"Roxanne nodded slightly before relating the research institute's situation to him."The research institute is currently working on a few projects. Unfortunately, progress is being held back by the lack of medicines. As a result, we've been searching for a medicine supplier whom we can work with. Unfortunately, we ended up being rejected by everyone in Horington. With no other choice, Colby thought of the Queen family and figured that I should give it a try."Looking at Jonathan, Roxanne explained earnestly, "Of course, even without the reward, I would still do my best to treat Old Mr. Queen. The reward is nothing more than a bonus to me."When Roxanne's serious expression earned Jonathan's further respect, he repeated, "I would like to apologize again for the doubt I've shown you earlier. You truly are an exceptional doctor."Acknowledging his praise, Roxanne stared intently at Jonathan while waiting for him to discuss the medicine supply.With no time to waste, Jonathan jumped right into it after gaining an understanding of the situation,"Now that Grandpa has awoken after receiving your treatment, we hope that you will continue taking good care of him. As for the reward promised by our family, I have the authority to make a decision. As a start, I will provide the research institute with its first batch of medicine free of charge as a sign of our gratitude. Subsequently, our family will sign a long-term contract with the institute to supply medicine at half price."Roxanne gradually understood the situation.After watching Alfred regain consciousness from her treatment, Jonathan was thoroughly convinced that she could cure him.As for the first batch of free medicine, it was both a gift and also an effort to reassure her.After all, that batch would solve the urgent shortage at the research institute, allowing her to concentrate on curing Alfred without any distractions.Needless to say, Jonathan's proposal was extremely tempting."All right. Please rest assured that I will do my best to cure Old Mr. Queen."Upon hearing her promise, Jonathan replied with a smile, "Your words have put my mind at ease. Anyway, I'll get the contract drafted tomorrow. When the time comes, all you need to do is signit."Roxanne nodded in acknowledgment.With the matter of the reward settled, Jonathan personally escorted her to the door and watched her drive away.Only when her car disappeared from sight did he return to the house and give Lucian a call."How is Old Mr. Queen?"The moment the call connected, Lucian's voice rang out with the sound of water flowing in the backgroundJonathan answered with a grin, "He's already awake. Dr. Jarvis is amazing."Recalling how awkward Lucian and Roxanne behaved earlier, he asked curiously, "Lucian, are you acquainted with Dr. Jarvis prior to this? I just feel as if something is amiss between both of you. Furthermore, I've never seen you behave that way with another woman before."Even though he made things difficult for her, he stood up for her at the same time.In the beginning, Jonathan really thought that Lucian didn't take Roxanne seriously.However, after watching Lucian help her and even insisting that Frieda apologize to her, he had no idea what to think.His hunch told him that both of them knew each other, but it was impossible for him to guess what sort of relationship they had.Lucian's concern for Alfred was the only reason why he took Jonathan's call. Hence, the question caused his expression to darken. "I don't know her. If I did, I would already have gotten her to treat Old Mr. Queen."Before Jonathan could reply, Lucian hung up, triggering the former's curiosity,Somehow, Lucian's tone just now was really awkward. Do they really not know one another?By the time Roxanne reached home, it was already late at night.Madilyn was playing Lego with the boys in the living room.