Anne

As Anne strolled away from Doctor Rick's office, her mind buzzed with fragments of their conversation. Had she revealed too much? Was it okay to share those thoughts, those feelings?

With the luxury of a free day, she walked across the street, enjoying morning sun. Without intending to, she found herself drawn to the park where she had sought solace after Jenny's party.

The peace enveloped her as she stepped into the familiar surroundings. This time, she made a straight course for the swing, the creak of its chains a soothing melody. As she propelled herself gently back and forth, a childlike grin crept across her face.

Anne mused about her childhood, trying to piece together fragmented memories. Was she a wild child, running around? Did she enjoy playing tag with neighborhood kids? Does she have siblings?

"I may never know," she murmured to myself, slowly swinging back and forth.

Should she confront her past with these silly exercises, step out of her comfort zone and explore her mind? But it was easier said than done. The fear of what she might uncover held her back, to the safety of ignorance.

"Luna!" Someone shouted, jolting Anne out of her thoughts. Instinctively, she looked up, only to find a little Maltese sniffing the grass beside her. She hadn't even noticed the dog approach, so deep was she in her own musings.

"Aren't you a cutie?" Anne smiled, reaching out to stroke the dog's white fur after the first tentative lick. The dog seemed to enjoy the attention, nuzzling against her hand.

"I'm so sorry," a young girl rushed over, scooping up the dog in her arms. "She's too quick, I couldn't even get her on a leash."

Anne furrowed her brow at the mention of a leash. She preferred not to use one, trusting her dogs to stay by her side without restraint. So far, they hadn't disappointed her, remaining obedient during their walks.

But she kept that to herself.

Despite the weather not quite warm enough, this teenager confidently rocked a pair of pink jeans and a white crop top with a light sweater.

Her brown hair framed her face in loose waves, and her bright green eyes sparkled with exhaustion from running after her little Maltese.

"She's beautiful," Anne remarked softly, petted the dog as the girl approached. "And so small."

"Yeah," the girl agreed with a smile, showing Anne her pink braces. "But fast! I'm sweating like a pig."

"And what a lovely name she has," Anne observed, running her hand over Luna's fur once more, ignoring the teenager. "Luna, right?"

"Yes," the girl nodded. "Like the Moon, you know?"

"I've never heard it," she told her, looking primary at Luna. "But it suits her."

The girl beamed. "I named her. Do you have a dog too?"

"No," Anne sighed. "It's too much responsibility, but I am helping in a dog shelter around a corner."

The girl squealed in delight, making Anne jump and finally look at her. "You mean 'Homies for dogies'?"

When Anne first saw the name of the shelter, she felt a twinge of embarrassment for them. But now, hearing it spoken aloud, it struck her as even more bizzare.

"Yeah, that's the one," she nodded.

"I named it too!" Her smile couldn't be wider.

Anne grinned, the girl's enthusiasm too sincere not to.