I'm Thankful

"How old are you?" Carl says.

"12." I say. "You?"

"I'm 12 too. Sophia is 11." He says.

"I'm about to turn twelve!" Sophia butts in.

"Um. I'm sorry about your dad." Carl says.

"How do you know about that?" I ask.

"My dad." He says.

"Oh. Well, um, thank you." I say.

I look down in my lap.

When people keep saying they're sorry for your loss, it just makes you want to cry more. They keep reminding you about the loss of your loved one.

"Emma!" I hear Glenn call for me.

I run over to him. "Yea?"

"Me and Rick are going on a run. I know you might not want to because of what happened last time but, would you like to come?"

"Uh.. yea sure."

"We aren't forcing you to go. If you don't want to you can stay here." Rick says.

"No. I want to."

"Okay. I'll go grab Carl. He needs the practice." Rick says.

Glenn and I wait in the car for Rick and Carl.

"Are you sure you want to go on the run?" Glenn says.

"Yes. Glenn, I know how to kill these things. I've killed many before. When the flesh eat-"

"Walker." Glenn cuts me off.

"When the walker grabbed my arm, I was terrified. But, I can't be afraid anymore. I won't."

Two of the car doors open and Rick and Carl get in the car. Glenn is driving, Rick riding shotgun, and me and Carl in the back.

...

We arrive at a house. The neighborhood has about 15 houses.

"Do you think we can each get a house to make it go quicker?" Rick asks Glenn.

"I don't want Emma to be alone." Glenn tells Rick.

"Glenn. I'm fine." I butt in.

"Emma and Carl can search one house, you can search another and I'll search that one." Rick points to a house.

Glenn heads off to one house and me and Carl head off to a small white house.

"Get your gun ready." I said as I open the door.

We both put our guns down. No walkers. For now. We both go over to the kitchen. The floor is covered with all different things. You can barely walk through. We walk over to the cabinets. I find a can of green beans and two cans of corn. Carl finds half a box of crackers. I find a pillow case and we put all the stuff we find in it.

"Let's search upstairs." Carl says. I nod and we both go upstairs.

"You search that room and I'll search this one." He says.

I walk to the room I was told to search. I open the door and I here Carl scream. I run back to the room he's in with my hand on my knife.

I get to the room and Carl is lying on his back with a walker on top of him. I take my knife out of its holster and stab the walker in the head. The walker's groans stop and its body becomes even more limp. Carl is breathing heavy.

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

"A bit shaken up." He laughs a little. He sits up and I hug him.

"I guess we're the same now." He gives a little laugh. "We've both been trapped by walkers."

I laugh. "We all are going to be eventually."

"Maybe not." He says.

"How can you be so sure?" I ask.

"How can you?"

I smile and hug him again. "Are you sure your okay?"

"Yes. I'm thankful my dad found you." He smiles.

"Me too." I smile back. "Come on. Let's go find Glenn and your dad."

We both walk out of the house and go to the house Rick is in and then to the one Glenn is in.

We head back to the farm.