Chapter One

I hated school. My personal hell. Although I had friends, I had no one who understood me. Hell, no one I knew in my year even liked the same music as me, let alone like the same style, the same hobbies, the same happiness. I always found it hard to make friends, always. Yet everyone else could look at another person and be instant friends just from that.

I was teased for being fat. I was teased for being an 'emo-goth'. I was teased for being ginger. I was teased for being unfit. I was teased for liking Pokemon. I was teased for not being girly. Anything I did, I was teased for.

But I was strong. It may not seem so bad to you but at the time all I ever wanted to do was cry. Sometimes I would come home from school, wanting nothing more than to go to bed. But then I would realize that I had some after-school club and I would burst into tears in the car on the way there. My mum would always tell me off for trying to get out of what ever activity I had to do. She didn't understand why I was being so immature when I was 11.

One of my after-school activities was a band on Tuesdays. At first, I played tenor horn, moving on to Euphonium and finally onto tuba. This band was the thing I despised most. Being one of the only tubas, I was moved up bands quickly, too quickly and I wan't ready, but as usual my mum made me. As I expected, I was the youngest and everyone else was taller, older, louder, had more friends, knew each other from school. But I was alone as usual.

I hated being alone, sitting on the floor at the bottom of the stairs in some all-girls secondary school.

All of a sudden, one day I wasn't quite so alone...