Chapter 4: Stolen Glances

Becky's POV

I'm here at the school now, I arrived early so I hung out at the park first. I remembered the dream I had last night.

Since I got amnesia, only selected memories come back to me. But with the help of the photo albums at home, those lost memories were filled in somehow.

I can't remember what Dad looked like in my dreams, but I see him in pictures. Lola said they also don't know where he is. They also stop looking for him. She said that, it's hard to find someone who doesn't want to be found.

I looked around the park and breathed some air. It's now a month of May.

This month brings back bitter memories for me. Mom's disappearance, Dad leaving me, my accident. And my best friend leaving me without saying goodbye.

I can't remember her face, and there's not a single picture of her at home. I guess I don't want to remember her either, which is probably why I didn't try to find a photo of her or ask Nam about her. Maybe I'm protecting myself.

"Becky!" I snapped out of my thoughts when I saw Billy running towards me, panting heavily.

I just looked at him with a poker face. That's how I am with my childhood friends; they're used to it.

I didn't realize that Nam, Heng, and Freen were behind him. Until I saw Freen's face first.

I quickly averted my gaze to Nam, she sit beside me.

"Becky! Since you weren't with us yesterday, you and Freen are invited to our house later. And, no saying no. Freen already said yes. Right Freen?" She insisted while holding my arm playfully and look at Freen.

"Yes" Freen agreed and nodded.

"Your house is far Nam," I said to her, trying to find some excuses. Honestly, I didn't know if I would go. Sometimes I hang out with them, but most of the time I don't.

"Don't worry, Daddy will pick us up, and he'll also take you home infront of your houses" she said excitedly.

"You rarely join us, Becky, just go with us this time," Heng chimed in, now standing next to Freen. I accidentally glanced at her face and noticed she had eyebags too. Oh, right. I saw her crying last night.

"Heng's right! And it's Nam's birthday today, she'll sulk if you don't come Becky" Billy is also trying to convince me, now sitting at my left. I was  sandwiched between Nam and him.

"Is it your birthday today, Nam?" I asked Nam in surprise.

"Oh, Becky, how bad of you...but I understand, since we're kids you only really remember her birthday" Nam said, but then she quickly covered her mouth as if she had uttered something that must not be said.

"Huh? Whose birthday?" I asked her in confusion. I felt tension among them, like they were hiding something.

"Um, it's, uh, your mom's birthday of course, right Heng..Billy?" She looked at Heng and Billy, who nodded in agreement.

They're acting weird today.

"Okay, I'll go, but I need to ask Lola first, but I haven't prepared a gift for you Nam," I said.

Since it's Nam's birthday, I think I'll go this time.
But the truth is... half of the reason is maybe because Freen will be there too.

I can't explain the feelings I have. Am I really attracted to her, or is it just curiosity? I want to know what it is.

"Yehey! Ms. Rebecca Armstrong will join us!" Billy said cheerfully, and Heng and Nam chuckled at him.

"Thank you, Becky! It's okay, your presence alone was enough, it is already a gift for me," Nam said happily, hugging me. Because Freen was behind her, my gaze goes to her and we made eye contact.