Showtime

As soon as she's stuck in the dark tunnel, she's blinded

     As soon as she's stuck in the dark tunnel, she's blinded. The darkness is quickly contrasted by the brightness of what Carver assumes is the sun. She sucks in a shaky breath but immediately coughs as the scorching heat from the arena around her infiltrates her lungs. She squints her eyes, trying to make out the area around her. She tries to shield her eyes, but it's no use until the platform comes to a halt.

The sudden stillness draws her attention to a familiar sound. The crashing of waves and small spritzes of water that come from the tide slapping against her platform makes her smirk. The air is damp and humid, something she's experienced plenty of times during the summer in Four. The landscape surrounding her is a dark green, filled with different vines and looming trees. Each Tribute is separated by small stone bridges which lead to the Cornucopia that sits dead center on the water. The small island ahead consists of many weapons and survival items, each one something a Victor is particularly skilled with. Carver's eyes fall on a gnarly looking battle axe that rests on the table at the very front of the Cornucopia. A belt of knives is thrown haphazardly on the floor, not too far from the axe. The brunette doesn't even bother to glance at who surrounds her, focusing on getting the weapons and then finding Finnick.

"Let the 75th Hunger Games Begin. May the odds be ever in your favor." Claudius Templesmith's voice rings in her ears as a holographic timer appears above the cornucopia.

Ten seconds.

Carver is aware of how dangerous it is heading to the Cornucopia first, but she's confident she will be the first one to make it. Her swimming skills can only be rivaled by Finnick Odair and since her body is leaner than his, she can gain much more distance than him. She plans to meet him on the rocky island, that way they can regroup and plan from there.

Six.

She crouches down, getting ready to dive in the crazy waters below. Her heartbeat is the only thing she can hear as it presses roughly against her temples. She licks her bottom lip, getting a small hint of salt from the water hitting her face. Carver finally decides to glance to her sides briefly and notices Peeta who is about two pedestals down from her right and Johanna who is about four. Her eyes fall back on the water and she analyzes what could be below the surface. There seems to be no major threats, unless someone counts marlin dangerous.

Three. Two.

A protective feeling washes over Carver as she watches Peeta get ready to dive as well. She hopes that he has some sort of swimming skills. It's a large ask considering not many people know how to outside of Four. Her main priority is to keep Peeta, Katniss, and Finnick safe, and if that means dragging Peeta through the water, she'll do it.

One.

The hateful sound of a canon goes off and Carver wastes no time in colliding with the water. Her body enters smoothly, barely leaving a splash behind her. She expertly freestyles down the long path ahead of her. No breaths are needed as she live without oxygen for about four minutes. The coolness of the water envelops her body in a relieving way because it gives her a break from the heat of the sun. She reaches out and grasps the rough black rocks in front of her. The brunette uses her upper body strength to pull her out of the water and into the dry surface. Her feet hit the platform of the Cornucopia and she whips her hair around rapidly to get it out of her face.