Family

It's barely 7 in the morning, and I already feel the madness of the city. They say the more noise there is, the more alive you'll feel, but all I feel is a terrible headache about to explode. I don't remember what time I got home last night; I just know that when I arrived, I had to climb the neighbor's stairs that lead to my balcony, and to top it off, it was all for nothing. My dear grandfather had locked the door from the inside.How did he know?! When I knocked on the main door, all I got was a bucket of cold water."Grandpa!!! Have you gone mad?! Do you want me to get sick?"I was already drunk, but now I'm also catching a cold. With that bucket of water and my screams, we woke up the whole neighborhood."You're the worst, girl," my grandfather looked at me disapprovingly. "That's why I don't like what you're doing. It's always the same. Until when, Lia? Tell me.""I'm not up for fights, Grandpa."I entered my house and started looking for pajamas to change out of my wet clothes, but then I felt a slap on my back that sent a jolt through my body and stung a bit."Ouch!!! That hurt," I pouted. That usually gets me my way, but this time was different."I'm tired, Lia," he said in a subdued voice that I didn't like at all."Grandpa...""I've done the best I could, and yet I only have a mischievous granddaughter," his smile was one of those that precede a huge bombshell. "Lia, I...""I'm tired," I prefer to interrupt whatever he's going to say. I don't want to hear it."True, tomorrow is another day, and we'll talk when you're in better shape," he looked at me nostalgically, like when he remembers my mother, and left the room.Last night wasn't one of my best. Granted, I crossed the line, but what can I do? It's my last year of high school, and I told myself I was going to enjoy it to the fullest.Last night was one of the best, although I shouldn't have overdone it with the alcohol. My head feels like it's about to explode!I also had an encounter with my grandfather; he threw a bucket of water at me! Unbelievable, I never thought we'd come to that. The sun is streaming in through my window, and the noise from the streets is making my headache even worse than before."Lia, Lia, you have to get up now, it's almost 9 in the morning, and today is a special day," that voice, that beautiful voice, how I missed it. My grandmother has returned from her relatives' house."I'm coming!" First, I have to shower and then put on some simple clothes. I have an appointment at the hair salon at 10, and then I plan to go with my friend Karla to the Art University and inquire about the registrations. But without my grandfather finding out; he doesn't agree with my future plans. He thinks I can do other things. I wonder if it was the same with my mother. How I love the update, the music, the dance. Does it have something to do with her?"Lia!" I forgot that despite how sweet my grandmother is, it doesn't mean she has much patience."I'm here, auntie, no need to panic," I smile at her and give her a big hug. My grandmother is beautiful; her gray and white hair, her lovely smile, and the best part, her excellent sense of humor. "I missed you, grandma, and I missed your cooking.""Let your grandmother finish breakfast, girl," there's my grandfather, drinking his bitter coffee. I don't know how he can drink something so bitter and then complain about always being angry."Good morning, Grandpa," I don't feel like greeting him, let alone starting a fight."Good morning," he says without looking at me. It seems he's still mad about yesterday."Well, let's have breakfast," toast and guava juice, I'm a little tired of the same old."I'm leaving," I gather my things and before leaving,"Where are you going?" I forgot to tell him that today I was going out with Karla."I'm going to the hair salon, and then I'm going to see Karla.""Weren't you with her for a long time already?" Why does he have to be so grumpy?"Yes, but...""But nothing, after the salon, you come straight home.""Grandpa, tomorrow is graduation, and I have some things pending.""No way, tell your friend to come here, and that's it," he still doesn't look me in the eye. I seek help from my grandmother."Hey, let the girl go to her friend's house," that's it, grandma, sweeten him up."I said no!" Oh oh, he raised his voice at my grandmother; this is not good at all."Who are you raising your voice to?" Now, I prefer my grandfather to be mad rather than my grandmother; she's really scary when she's like this. I'd better leave things as they are; I don't want my grandparents to fight."Okay, let's calm down, I'm not going anywhere, okay?""No, you're leaving," my grandfather wants to say something. "Not a single word, or you and I will have a bigger problem," and my grandmother wins. It's amazing how she can do that; it's pure female control. That's why I want to be like her."Then see you later in the afternoon," for now, I start sneezing."Ohh, it looks like someone is going to get sick," I look at my grandfather, and he's laughing, in a rather unoriginal way, but he is. He knew I was going to get sick, and yet he threw water at me! How mean."Take an allergy pill, dear, and stay hydrated," my grandmother is very calm, and I don't like it. "And come home very late; your grandfather and I need to talk," I feel like my grandfather freezes, and I laugh in a conspiratorial way."Okay, see you later, kisses," that was fun; my grandmother is the only one who can make my grandfather nervous. They are definitely a couple of years.I sneeze again; oh no, this is not good at all. If I catch a cold now, I won't be able to go out tonight. This is horrible; I'm already starting to feel sick.