Chapter 30 ~ The assignment

The Winter Soldier.

(Red Soldier pov)

The inconvenience in question, a man in red and gold armour, a familiar red haired woman, a huge green monster whose eyes glow with sorrow? A man with wings that encircles us like prey, a man with a brightly coloured shield, a man with a bow and arrow, and a woman who has a red mist surrounding her hands.

They circle us, ready for a fight. We are like prey right now, and we need that to change.

The Winter Soldier beside me pulls out his combat knife and starts to strut towards our problem. Soon after I follow, my breathing muffled and restricted by the muzzle- like mask that encases my face.

The heavy russian accent is able to make it through the mask. "Солдат! Вы возьмете того, у кого есть щит, а я выберу рыжего. понятно?" (Soldier! You go for the one with the shield, I'll go for the red haired one. Got it?)

He nods at me and starts to shoot at the man with the shield, the bullets bounce right off, along with the light from the gleaming sun.

This outfit really doesn't help with the heat.

I run to the red haired woman, shoot in her direction. I jump and wrap my leg around her neck.

Luckily for her, she is able to catch me as I stabilise myself on her and throw me to the ground. I am almost immediately back on my feet, I kick her away and throw her into a wall nearby hoping that is enough to not make her my problem anymore.

While she is down, I run to The Winter Soldier. My breath is rapidly struggling through this mask, sweat is sticking the leather to my skin, making it stiff and difficult to move.

Just
Breathe
Breathe
Breathe
Breathe
Breathe
Quick
Breathe
Breathe
Help
Help
Breathe
Breathe
Breathe
Help
I can't
I can't
Breathe
Help
I can't
Breathe.

The muscles in my thighs tighten and flex against the sticky leather. My legs are pumping with my breath, scattered, disorganised, random. Which is the last thing you want anything to be, random.

Suddenly, for a moment I can't breathe but not because of the running or the suffocating mask that I want to rip off, but because someone came crashing down, pulling me with them.

Some mechanical wings wrap around me as I struggle against them. I can hear the metal moving, the wind flurries and blows as the metal cuts through it.

My hand instantly moves to my thigh holster to my signature knife. My slightly sweaty hands wrap around the handle, my fingertips brush the cold metal that is somewhat relieving to the warmth of my body.

I swipe the knife close to him but he fires back with a thrust from the mechanism on his back. With annoyance, I stand and pull out one of my G26's and fire countless times.

Bang! Bang!

The shots ring out through my ears and to my hollowed out skull.

This man's wings wrap around protecting him from the open fire projected onto him. He flys towards me, knocking the gun out of my hand.

He pulls my up into the air, I wrap my legs around his neck in attempt to make him stop.

The winged man pushes back against me. My mask falls off.

I can
Breathe.

My legs instantly loosen as I gasp for the fresh air that can now easily flow into my lungs.

"Guys! Get their masks off, they can't breathe!" He shouts to the others through a communication form I don't care about.

With this opportunity, I anchor my arms to him and force his wings off with strength from my legs.

Soon after, we both come tumbling down from the air. I kick off his body and flip backwards so I land on my feet.

Next thing I know, a painfully bright, white blast shoots towards me, followed by many more. One hits my bare hand as I continue to dodge skillfully, I hiss when it burns but keep fighting.

I punch to the metal.

Punch after punch after punch. Again, again and again.

I give up after my fists only caused a few chips of red metal break away. Small nanobeads of metal separate, only to reveal another layer of silver metal.

This man's hand holds on my back, I quickly elbow him in the face.

I use this opportunity to escape, confirm the kill, comply.

"Солдаты!" (Soldier)

I gesture my head to a now available opening in the line of inconveniences. We both pump our legs like our lives depend on it.

Because they do.

We escape into the shadows, just like always. Disappearing in thin air. Like ghosts.

-----------------------------------
(Third person Pov, with the Avengers)

Natasha is gaining consciousness, she groans and sits against the wall, crimson blood running down her forehead.

"Shit, Did they get away?"

"Now how will we get them back? We had our shot and we blew it!" Wanda exclaims, mentally drained from attempting to stop The Winter Soldier, but you can't control someone whose already controlled. "I'm not strong enough to break through the mind control yet, HYDRA have uped their game."

"Well I wouldn't say we blew it." Tony smirks, which outrages and confuses everyone, considering what just happened.

"What do you mean, Stark?" Thor questions.

"Why'd you say that? How could we find them now?" Steve sighs.

"I placed a nanotech tracker on Y/n."