Episode 1 -- How we Became a Family: Chapter 1

(help idk how to start this so forgive me)

SCENE: the Cruz household living room. Kayleigh and the kids are casually seated on couches and armchairs throughout the room.

Fred sits on the long grey couch in the room, to the right of Stella and Chuck, rather aggressively tapping at the kids' shared tablet.

FRED: Did you know Max Power doubles when you run and jump at the same time?

Chuck shifts his body towards Fred, excitedly.

CHUCK: (AMAZED) No...!

SILVI: (WITH FAKE INTEREST) No... is Max Power worth a lot?

Fred gives Silvi a disappointed look, as if she didn't say what he wanted her to.

Kayleigh sits alone in the armchair in the corner of the room, scrolling on her phone, looking solemn. She looks up from her phone and at her kids, putting her cheerful, child-friendly act on once again.

KAYLEIGH: Y'know, I think it's about time for you guys to run and jump to bed--

Fred eagerly jumps up from the couch.

KAYLEIGH (STERNLY): Not literally.

Silvi and Bob, secretly embarrassed by Kayleigh's rather babying comment, being 4th and 5th graders, respectively, silently head upstairs.

KAYLEIGH: It's 9 o'clock, you know the rules. And remember to brush your teeth.

Fred, Chuck, and Stella hastily half-run up the stairs, Fred and Stella fighting over who gets the sink first. Bob and Silvi, however, are a little slower to comply, both of them slowly getting up off the loveseat, staring at Kayleigh, halfway hoping she'll let them stay up a little later.

KAYLEIGH: (SWEETLY) Goodnight, now, I can't let you be too tired to play for tomorrow.

Silvi and Bob, secretly embarrassed by Kayleigh's rather babying comment, being 4th and 5th graders, respectively, silently head upstairs.

Now that the kids are out of her sight, Kayleigh slumps in her chair and sighs.