II

2

          Tamra was nearly buzzing with both anxiety and excitement. It's not every day that one gets to announce a new relationship to their entire group of friends. Especially when she and Theodora had been keeping the relationship under wraps for the past few weeks, so that they could have some time to figure everything out. Obviously everything had gone fine, which is why they were going to tell their friends. And of course their friends would accept the relationship, even if it was in an 'I think you two are going to Hell, but have fun' sort of way.

          I am definitely over-thinking this. She told herself as she finished another lap around the lines of the Gymnasium, glancing quickly over her shoulder to see who was behind her as she turned the corner. Anise was only a few steps her junior, so she picked up the pace a bit and continued. Tamra wiped the accumulated sweat from her brow and took a long breath as she settled into a moderate jog. The running would definitely help with her nerves, she thought to herself as she tightened the elastic of her short ponytail. She looked over her shoulder again, this time locking eyes with Anise and quirking a brow. Anise had caught on quickly, and grinned devilishly up at Tamra, accepting the challenge that she had proposed. Once Tamra turned back around, she began to sprint. Anise followed her, gaining speed just as easily, regardless of it being her off-season. Grinning, Anise passed Tamra and continued the lap ahead of her. It went like this a few times, with Tamra gaining speed and passing Anise, and then Anise doing the same in turn.

          Mrs. Taylor, the gym teacher, blew the whistle on warm-ups after a good amount of these such laps, signaling for all of the students to stop what they were doing and huddle up around her. Once everyone had moved in to form a loose semi-circle, she began to outline the lesson plan for the day.

          "Today, we're going to be playing two-on-two rounds of volleyball." The second that she mentioned partners, Anise held up a hand for a high-five that Tamra happily accepted. The rest of the class did the same, quietly partnering up until everyone had a team. It was good that they were in a class that had an even number of students, or games like this would have been tough."You guys are going to have to set up the nets. Everything you need is in Storage Room B. Anise, can you go unlock it?" She handed her ring of keys to Anise, who gratefully accepted, and continued the outline, "The first team to five points wins, then you guys are going to switch spots with the next team in a clockwise direction. Everyone understand?"

          She waited only a moment before clapping her hands and dismissing the gaggle of students, allowing her to retire to her office until we were finished setting up. Now that she was done, the students all moved as a swarm to the doors of the storage room, which were located on the opposite side of the Gymnasium. Anise made short work of the door, and then one by one all of the pairs collected the poles, nets, and balls necessary for play. The games that ensued were all fairly run-of-the-mill. Nothing truly catastrophic happened until one of the girls got a ball straight to the face and then decided to tackle the player that had hit her in an act of violent retribution. This culminated in Mrs. Taylor running from the Gym Office with a pair of ice packs, blowing the sharp tweet of her whistle all the way across the polished floor to where the two now lay writhing. The girl that had jumped on the other was immediately written up and sent to the office, much to her chagrin, and was given one of the two packs before being sent away. The other girl was told to sit out for the rest of the period, seeing as she could be concussed, as well as the fact that there were only twenty minutes left of the period. Seeing as she was one of the only students that was licensed in First Aid, Tamra was the one put on the duty of making sure that the other girl didn't pass out, as well as make sure that if her assailant returned, nothing turned for the worse. She took no time in helping the girl walk over to the bleachers, sending a quick look of apology to Anise, whom she had left partner-less, and went to work on assessing any damage that may have occurred during the altercation.

          "Hey, so, what's your name?" Tamra asked the girl as a speech test, but also as a genuine question.

          "Hillary." She answered, rubbing at where her skull had connected with the floor. She blinked a few times, as though trying unsuccessfully to clear her vision. Seeing as her speech wasn't slurred or garbled, Tamra went on to the next test.

          "Okay. Hillary, can I get you to follow my finger with your eyes real quick? Make sure that you don't move your head." Once Hillary had nodded, the other girl lifted a finger out in front of her. After making sure that her reaction time was acceptable, Tamra went about testing her pupil dilation. This also proved healthy, so she concluded that the fall resulted in nothing more than a bump, and told Hillary so.

          "Oh, well that's good. I've got a friend who got concussed during a football game. She's in cheer with me, right? And her spotter wasn't doing so well that day, and she got dropped. It was really bad."

          "Really? Wow, that must be terrible for her. Has she been recovering smoothly?" Tamra asked with genuine interest.

          "Yeah, but she gets really bad headaches." Hillary replied, nodding her head solemnly.

          "That's too bad." Tamra said, looking out into the fray of volleyballs and swishing hair.

          "Yeah."

          The two continued like this for the remainder of the period, idly chatting back and forth until Mrs. Taylor called everyone down to the floor again for a huddle.

          "Alright, girls, that was a good class. I hope no one was discouraged by what happened with Kate." She made a quick aside to Hillary, "How are you feeling by the way? You're still up for practice tonight?" Once Hillary nodded at her, she sent the girl a thumbs-up, and continued her address of the class, "Let's get all of the gear packed up so the next class has the space clear when they get here."

          And with that, she sent a quick salute to Anise, who still had the keys tucked away, and went back to her office. Once all of the gear had been packed away, the girls once again formed a swarm-like group and herded into the locker rooms. The early end to the class had been quite fortuitous, as the bell rang just after the last straggling students had finished changing. This made it quite easy for Tamra and Anise to leave for lunch once Anise had returned the ring of keys to their rightful place in Mrs. Taylor's office. After that matter had been sorted, the two made their way up to their respective lockers to trade their gym clothes for lunch bags, and made their way to the group's lunch table as a pair. Tamra felt quite calm now, even though she hadn't gotten as much done during class as she had hoped to. She let out a long sigh. This was going to be an amazing hour-and-fifteen-minutes.