III

3

As Theodora neared the lunchroom, her heart wormed its way up into her throat. Wading through the crush of tightly-packed bodies had her feeling a bit nauseated, so she decided that it would be in her best interest to stay just outside the door, tucked out of the way, until the rushing stream of students began to subside. This took a few minutes, seeing as the mass of students must have been creating a bit of a traffic jam to begin with, but, after a while, Theo was able to make her way through the doors, and to her table. Everyone had already sat down, including Tamra, whom she quickly moved to sit beside. She smiled. Today's the day, Theo. She repeated the phrase in her mind. This only served to make her smile even wider.

"Hey, Theo! Earth to Theo? Hello?" Theodora looked up from her thoughts to see a hand about an inch from her face, waving to get her attention. Cara, to whom the hand belonged, retracted her arm and smiled.

"Tamra tells us that you guys have news, and if it's the news that I think it is, then I may faint a lil' bit." She tented her fingers and grinned, awaiting the response. Tamra and Theodora looked to each other with matching smiles, and then turned their gazes to the assembled group. Theo nodded to Tamra, to allow her to speak first.

"So, in case you guys haven't figured it out yet, Theo and I are dating. We are going steady, we are comrades," She said this with a very thick, and very fake Russian accent, "We are gal pals, and we are the token gays. Thank you for your time." Once she had finished, the assembled group, being Anise, Cara, and Davie, erupted into squeals of delight and laughter. Cara fanned herself with her napkin and began to fake a swoon, falling into the waiting arms of Davie, who was nearly suffocated under the volume of Cara's natural hair. Anise clapped her hands in delight, and also fell, though it was more of a dramatic lean, into the pile of human that had metamorphosed from the center of their bench. After a few more seconds of theatrics, and an uttering of, 'Our babies are all grown up!' from Davie as he stole Cara's napkin to use as a Kleenex, Theodora began tapping the blunt edge of her plastic knife to the side of her water bottle, as if to call silence over the dramatics of the three. Cara rose from Davie's lap and fluffed her hair a bit before sitting ramrod straight, and giving an over-the-top dignified look to Anise, which was followed by mirrored actions from Davie, minus the preening. Anise then began rhythmically pounding on the table, but not so hard that the sound came over the din of the still packed room.

"Kiss. Kiss. Kiss. Kiss. Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" The chant started as a nearly inaudible whisper, but as Davie and Cara joined in and it grew in volume, still thumping on the lunch table. Theo looked to Tamra once more, this time questioning. Tamra nodded, smiling, and so they did. The cheers that erupted from the three silenced the cafeteria, but not at all in a good way. Tamra and Theo pulled apart after a moment, not wanting to make the kiss anything more than chaste in the present company, and glanced around. Their shared smiles quickly faded as they caught the unimpressed scowls of many of their schoolmates.

"Ugh, fags." A student scoffed under their breath. Theodora looked down at her fists, which where clenched white-knuckled in her lap. Her cheeks heated as she stared, and her vision swam in a way that threatened tears. Tamra laid a gentle arm around her shoulders, which Theo leaned all of her weight into, content in letting Tamra face the world for her now that she had nothing to hide. Laughter came from the direction of the voice, but she didn't look up from her nestled place to see who had said it. There was faint murmuring throughout the lunch room that only culminated when one of the supervisors strode up to their table, lips pursed and thin in annoyance. The teacher was one that none of them had really interacted with before, so Theodora glanced up from her spot to check the name tag that was fastened to his vest. It read 'Mr. Donnelly' in a block-y black type.