Chapter 5

As the clouds leave inland and travel further north, they carry with them a thunderstorm unlike any other. Beneath it are packs of mighty "warriors" making the journey home, with them a rather familiar beast of sorts.

Squish, squash, squish, squash. "Oh don't you love the sound of rain," said Vice, "The sound of the mud squishing in between your toes." The frogman never ceases to amaze the group with his exceptional attitude towards all things gloomy.

"You say that everything," said Pox, "You'll 'scare' off our guest." The group laughed as they continued hiking through the valley of Tathala, a state of open plains and forests. "So, Eyron," said Pox, "Where did you say you met Dr.Frail?"

They traveled a great length exchanging a few words, here and there; dreading when they'll begin to ask him questions. Eyron gave them the same story he told the young boy back in the lab. "And then one day he stopped coming," he said, "I waited for days, but quickly realized he wasn't coming back. I tried to free myself from that cage, but failed miserably. Until you guys came along and set me free. Thank you, again." They continued walking until they settled upon a vast steam ship, a few rusty edges but otherwise she still floats. "ALRIGHT, LOAD UP!" Pox shouted, as he gave Eyron a friendly pat on the back.

Eyron descended upon the vast ship, climbing its rather long bridge to get on board. His eyes took flight as he bathed in the sounds of a humming machine. He even caught glimpses of others like him, walking around the ship carrying weapons, rations, and other absurd gadgets they happened to collect on their raid. "Your operation here is astonishing," said Eyron, "This must've taken you years to build." Pox and Vice smile proudly as they stand by their new companion. "It's alright," said Vice, "But wait until you see Home Fort. That's astonishing!"

Eyron asked how their story began when first joining Dr. Frail's Army. "Vice and I were collected by the Doctor's henchmen after Empyrean Troops went to war with the Pestiels," said Pox, "We were amongst the fallen. I remember being attacked then everything went dark. Moments later, I awoke in a recovery room surrounded by monitors and the anchovies; freaked me out at first, until I saw Vice laying next to me. When we were deemed ready, they brought us to see Dr. Frail and he explained everything to us. I'd be lying if I didn't say I wanted to run away after discovering what happened to us, but I knew they wouldn't accept us back. The government would've said we were 'infected.'" Pox and Vice went into details about the late Doctor's achievements, since he founded Home Fort, leaving certain moments out for future tales.

"So, Home Fort is where, exactly?" Eyron asked, as they made their way to the upper deck. Vice went over the navigation details and how one may need to find their way in case anything were to happen. "Home Fort isn't just one place," said Vice, "It's multiple islands floating along the east coast of Empiria. One of our islands sits in between Empiria and Mullabylay, the Empyreans thought it best to continue utilizing that route to travel between both states, but luckily for us that's where we terrify them the most. It's the closet we are to intercepting imports and other pieces of cargo without the chances of authorities spoiling our plans."

The boat continued on its course coming up to the first of many islands in Home Fort. Eyron and Vice headed to the port side leaning against the railings as they took in the scenery. Apparently the storm didn't go near the islands; it ended a few miles out from shore like a barricade, keeping unwanted visitors from traveling through unless they knew the area.

"That's the island of Dolphins and Whales," said Vice, "They're the guardians of our home, ensuring intruders are taken care of and that only authorized boats pass through. Otherwise, it's the end of the line. As we get further in, every island provides a resource for the primary island, Hornet's Nest." They descended upon the nearest port, watching as cargo was lifted off of the ship; some large and others small. Pox and Vice led Eyron to a Cricket's Pub on an island South of Hornet's Nest, saying they will settle here for the night while the ship refuels.