Chapter 5: High Stakes

Georgia was running late, her keys jingling with urgency as she made her way through the break room to find Nick

Georgia was running late, her keys jingling with urgency as she made her way through the break room to find Nick. "Hey, I need a huge favor," she said, her eyes pleading. Nick glanced up from his paperwork, already shaking his head before she finished her sentence. "No can do, Georgia. Got plans tonight," he said with a note of finality.

In the corner of the room Lucas, overhearing the conversation, set down his coffee cup. "I could babysit," he offered with a casual shrug. Georgia's face lit up with hope.

Later that evening at Georgia's house, Lucas was on all fours, maintaining a steady four-point balance on the cushioned terrain of the living room while Austin perched high atop the couch with wide, exhilarated eyes. "The floor is lava!" Austin declared and Lucas pretended to sear his hand on the invisible magma below before they both erupted into laughter.

Hours flew by in such spirited play until it was time for bed. As Austin trotted off to brush his teeth, Lucas started tidying up the pillows and blankets strewn about from their play. That's when he heard the front door open. Georgia walked in, cheeks flushed from giggling with parents over childhood stories at the sleepover.

She found Lucas in the living room and blurted out her thanks immediately before he hushed her with a small motion of his hand—Austin might still be awake. Quiet words turned to whispers and whispers somehow bridged into closeness; before either had fully decided to close the distance, their lips met in a kiss that seemed both spontaneous and inevitable.

They were lost in a moment outside of time when they suddenly pulled away at the sound of footsteps. It was Austin in his pajamas, toothbrush still in hand. His eyes widened not in anger but surprise—and something like warmth at seeing Lucas there.

An awkward silence hung in the air—mathematically perfect if silence could be measured—but it was broken when Austin spoke: "Can Lucas stay for a bedtime story?" 

Georgia's surprise mirrored that of her son's but was quickly replaced by a tender smile that embraced both Austin and Lucas standing beside her. She couldn't be upset; not when she saw how much her son liked him—or how much she did too.

The next day 

Elsewhere in town at the town hall, the air buzzed with anticipation as local volunteers gathered for the annual fundraiser meeting. The scent of freshly brewed coffee mingled with the excited murmur of community members tossing around ideas. At the helm stood Paul and Lucas, two pillars of Wellsbury's charitable scene.