14

Mark stood on the rooftop, the cool breeze ruffling his hair as he watched Donghyuck's retreating figure. His heart ached with regret and sadness, knowing that he had hurt the person he cared about most.

But amidst the pain, a fire ignited inside him-a determination to find out who had started the rumors and caused this mess. He couldn't let whoever it was get away with tearing apart his relationship with Donghyuck.

As he descended the stairs back into the school, Mark's mind raced with possibilities. Who could have spread such vicious lies? Was it someone jealous of their relationship? Or was it just a cruel prank gone too far?

He made his way through the crowded hallways, his eyes scanning the faces of his classmates, searching for any sign of guilt or suspicion. But everyone seemed to be going about their day as if nothing had happened.

Mark's frustration grew with each passing minute. He couldn't let this go. He had to find out the truth, for his own sake and for Donghyuck's.

As Mark made his way through the hallway, lost in thought, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned to see Minji, a flirtatious smile on her lips.

"Hey, Mark," Minji said, her voice dripping with sweetness. "I heard about what happened with you and Donghyuck. That's too bad."

Mark's jaw clenched as he tried to maintain his composure. He knew Minji was just trying to get under his skin, but he couldn't help feeling a surge of anger at the mention of her name.

"Yeah, it is," Mark replied tersely, trying to brush past her.

But Minji wasn't so easily deterred. She stepped in front of him, her gaze lingering on his face. "You know, if you ever need someone to talk to... I'm here for you," she said, her voice laced with faux concern.

Mark resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He knew Minji's game all too well-she was just looking for an opportunity to get closer to him, now that he was vulnerable.

"Thanks, but I think I'll pass," Mark replied, his tone cold.

Minji's smile faltered for a moment, but she quickly recovered, batting her eyelashes coyly. "Well, the offer still stands," she said, trailing her fingers down Mark's arm before sauntering off down the hallway.

Mark watched her go, his mind racing with suspicion. Could Minji be behind the rumors? It seemed too convenient that she would suddenly take an interest in him right after everything had gone down with Donghyuck.

Determined to get to the bottom of things, Mark made a mental note to keep a close eye on Minji. If she was behind the rumors, he was going to make sure she paid for what she had done.

Mark couldn't shake the feeling that Minji was somehow involved. He remembered the way she used to look at Donghyuck with envy whenever he and Mark were together, and the way she would always try to insert herself into their conversations.

---

Mark stood there, watching Minji's retreating figure, his mind clouded with anger and suspicion. The thought of Minji being the one behind the rumors gnawed at him, reigniting a side of him he thought he had left behind. He had always tried to suppress his old tendencies, but now, with Donghyuck slipping away, he felt the old, familiar anger bubbling to the surface.

As he turned back toward the hallway, a steely resolve settled over him. He wasn't going to let Minji, or anyone else, get away with tearing apart the most important thing in his life. If he had to revert to his old ways to protect his relationship with Donghyuck, so be it.

Mark's eyes scanned the hallway, locking onto his old group of friends-those who had once admired his toughness. He strode over to them, his jaw set with determination.

"Hey, Mark," one of them, Jisung, greeted him. "Long time no see."

"Yeah, well, things change," Mark replied, his tone hard. "I need your help."

Jisung raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "With what?"

"Minji," Mark said flatly. "I think she's behind the rumors about me and Donghyuck. I need to find out if it's true."

The group exchanged glances, sensing the intensity in Mark's voice. "What do you want us to do?" Jisung asked.

"Keep an eye on her," Mark instructed. "Find out who she's talking to, what she's saying. And if you hear anything, let me know."

"Got it," Jisung agreed, the rest of the group nodding in unison.

Mark felt a grim satisfaction as he walked away. If Minji was the one spreading lies, he would expose her. He couldn't afford to play nice anymore.

Later that day, Mark found himself outside Minji's locker, leaning against the wall. He didn't have to wait long before she appeared, her eyes widening slightly as she saw him.

"Hey, Mark," she said, her voice a mix of curiosity and wariness. "What's up?"

Mark stepped closer, his eyes boring into hers. "I know you're behind the rumors, Minji," he said, his voice low and dangerous. "And I'm going to prove it."

Minji's smile faltered, her confidence wavering. "I don't know what you're talking about," she replied, but there was a slight tremor in her voice.

"Save it," Mark snapped. "I've seen the way you look at Donghyuck. You can't stand that he chose me over you, can you?"

Minji's eyes flashed with anger, but she quickly masked it with a smile. "You're paranoid, Mark. But believe what you want."

Mark's fists clenched at his sides, his frustration boiling over. "If I find out you're behind this, you'll regret it," he warned.

Minji laughed, a cold, hollow sound. "Big words, Mark. But you can't scare me."

Mark watched her walk away, his heart pounding with a mix of rage and determination. He wasn't going to let Minji get away with this. He would protect his relationship with Donghyuck at any cost, even if it meant embracing the darkness within him once more.