Chapter 1-12: The Blue Spirit

I've lost track of how long ago Zhao drugged me, but it couldn't have been very long. I feel hungrier than I did when I was drugged, but I also haven't been eating much in the last few weeks, so that's not surprising. I wake up, but my eyes still refuse to open, and I can feel my body being chained up against a wall. My wrist is bound in chains and left dangling in the air, and my other arm has metal shaped around the short limb, and it's being pulled painfully into the air. Both my ankles are also bound together with metal chains.

My entire body feels sore, and it feels like my left arm has been broken. When did that happen? Zhao must've done that while the venom kept me asleep. At least I wasn't awake for that. I hear the door creak open, and loud footsteps approach me. I can only hope the person isn't Zhao. Suddenly, I hear the sound of sword being unsheathed, and I briefly question if Zhao decided to finally kill me after all, but the person just slices through my chains.

They sling me over their shoulder, and I hear them mutter, "Spirits, she's light. Has Zhao even been feeding her?"

I want to be able to move, just to even be able to open my eyes to catch a glimpse of my savior, but I know that voice. The Prince of the Fire Nation himself rescued me from Zhao. Why would he do that? I can only imagine he did it to use me as leverage against Aang, but I'm hoping I'll be better off with Zuko than with Zhao. He keeps walking until he makes it to another room, and I hear the door creak open, and him slicing through somebody else's chains.

I hear Aang's voice ask frantically, "Who are you? What's going on? Why do you have Ryuza? Why isn't she moving? Is she okay? Are you here to rescue me?" I don't hear a response from Zuko, only the creaking of the door opening wider, and Aang saying, "I'll take that as a 'yes'."

Why does Aang not recognize Zuko? Is he in disguise? Why is he freeing Aang? I doubt he's had a change of heart so quickly. Just a couple weeks ago he tried to kidnap me and Aang at my father's Temple on Crescent Island and had no qualms about telling Zhao who I was and dooming me to all this suffering.

All of a sudden, Aang exclaims, "My frogs! Come back! And stop thawing out! Wait! My friends need to suck on those frogs!"

I'm sorry, what? Why would Sokka and Katara need to suck on frozen frogs? I must've missed out on quite a bit in the last few weeks. Not like I'll be able to ask about what I missed. I wish they at least knew I was awake. The next thing I know we're in a place that smells awful, I'm assuming a sewer system underneath the stronghold.

We eventually exit from the sewers and I can feel that we're going up, Zuko likely climbing a wall as a soldier shouts, "There, on the wall!"

We're suddenly falling to the ground, and I can't brace myself at all, landing directly on the arrow that's still embedded in my left shoulder, driving it deeper into my arm. I can't even cry out in pain, only able to whimper and start tearing up. I feel smaller arms picking me up and holding me, likely Aang.

He asks, "Are you okay, Ryuza?" After I'm unable to respond, he says, "We'll get you out of here, Ryu. I promise."

Zhao shouts, "The Avatar and prisoner have escaped! Close all the gates immediately!"

Aang starts running while holding me, saying to Zuko, "Stay close to me!"

I can't make out what's going on, but I can feel a gust of air blowing past me. I'm guessing Aang blew a guard away. I'm shifted into just one of Aang's arms as he uses something to lift himself into the air, crash-landing on ground that's higher up than the ground. Maybe the top of a wall? I really wish I could just see what's going on.

It sounds like soldiers are getting closer, but Aang and Zuko fight them off before they can get close enough.

Aang picks up something with his other arm, saying to Zuko, "Take this. Jump on my back!"