Chapter 2

Pausing just outside the classroom, Aahan glanced around the hall; at the dull white walls and faded beige tiles.

His school was one of the few things Aahan had never missed. He had missed his teachers in passing thoughts and wondered about his classmates' lives, but he had never missed his school.

Slinging an arm over Aahan's shoulder, Ajay steered him down the hall, past the Chemistry lab and the permanent smell of ammonia wafting from it, and down the staircases. "Don't think too much about it", he murmured but how could Aahan not think about it?

They would have to attend school again. 20 years of not studying Science, of not having to worry about Boards and entrance exams and colleges. 20 years of not having to... to live by rules or report their every action to a higher authority.

"We will find a way back. I promise." Oh. That was what Ajay was talking about.

Aahan personally did not have much faith in that particular matter. Between the two of them, he had a better grasp on theoretical magic- he had been the head Researcher of Alcatraz afterall. And all his research on inter-dimensional portals had indicated a necessity of resonance between the souls of the traveler, essence of the world they were travelling to, and the magic of the world they were leaving. The last part had been important since it acted as a fuel and propeller, responsible for launching the traveler through dimensions.

Aahan knew this intimately. He had researched extensively on portals and relating topics during the initial years, when he still had the wish to return home and the resources to do just that. He had not been able to apply his findings, but he had certainly learnt a lot.

Ajay however only did as much as was required of him. As the King, he did not often have time to pursue matters unimportant to the kingdom; neither did he have any interest in doing so.

Aahan didn't say anything. He was too tired to fight... and he didn't want to sadden Ajay more than he already was.

Silently walking down the stairs, the two made their way out of the school, thankfully without running into anyone. Exiting the wide open rusty green gate, the two walked out into the hot, humid streets of Thane.

At least now, Aahan could take a somewhat accurate guess as to what month it was.

Walking on a path their feet easily recognized, and mind vaguely remembered, Aahan felt nauseated.

His memories were getting refreshed the longer they walked back to their houses. He remembered the raucous laughter of his friends and that one ice- cream stand and those beautiful pink blossoms in the spring. The younger kids skipping along to an unheard tune as their mothers gossiped behind. There- right in front of the old clubhouse was that piece of crumbling wall where students would gather to discuss their exam answers. The bright blue paint of that sweet shop on the street corner; the smell of rasgulla and barfi permeating the air.

But it was- it felt dull. Duller than what his memories knew. Perhaps it was the absence of those elements, the ones that made his memory complete. Or perhaps it was the recent events that had transpired, lending a faded quality to the streets. But it tore into Aahan until all he could think of was: Is this how we will have to live now on? On borrowed memories pretending to be a whole; is that what we will have to do?

Stopping at a familiar cross- road, Ajay turned to Aahan, "Please, I know you don't have much hope in us returning but you need to help me. You know more about magic than I do and-"

"Which is why I am saying that it just isn't possible", Aahan snapped. The scorching heat bore down on them and Aahan, irritated with Ajay's denial and his old stresses resurfacing, wiped his sweaty hands on his school pants. "Even if it was, they don't want us there. They knew that we were going to be sent away. And they did nothing", he hissed. "Doesn't that prove to you that we shouldn't- shouldn't try to go back. Our efforts will be wasted. They're not going to accept us back. In fact, what if they just send us back again? What if they- it's futile to try."

Ajay's expression was carefully blank when Aahan finally looked up. But his shoulders were tense and his jaws locked in anger.

Without another word, he turned on his heel, leaving Aahan standing alone.

—----

Head heavy with thought, Aahan dragged himself back to his building, collapsing against the elevator wall then immediately straightening up as another woman entered.

He vaguely remembered seeing her during festivals and other social gatherings. He wasn't sure if his mother had been close to the woman personally but she probably knew her.

"How are your studies going?" "Fine." He replied, smiling politely, hoping his floor would come soon.

"And you were preparing for...?" "NEET." He responded automatically. "And IISER," he added hastily.

She nodded empathetically. "Will you be going to Kota then?" He shook his head, suppressing a sigh of relief as the lift doors finally opened. Stepping out, he waved back at her, before briskly walking to his parents apartment and ringing the bell.

Maybe it was the disagreement with Ajay earlier. Maybe it was the shock and betrayal Aahan felt. Maybe it was the impromptu conversation with that woman.

Whatever the reason, Aahan had forgotten who exactly would open the door. And so when his middle- aged mother stood at the doorway, he felt his breath stop and his heart rate quicken. 

----------------------------------------------

NEET is the national Indian medical entrance exam taken by nearly 2 million students every year. IISER is the Indian Institute of Scientific Education and Research.

Kota is the study hub of India, a city where thousands of students prepare for entrance exams.