03

Jennifer D'silva stood in the room, her gaze drawn to the framed photo of a teenage girl hanging on the wall. It was the first thing that caught her attention in Derik's room, a space that now belonged to both of them. Nearby, their graduation photo stood, capturing them side by side, genuine smiles etched on their faces. Jennifer wondered if Derik would still smile at her like that.

Derik hadn't been a particularly jovial person during their college days. Reserved and introspective, he rarely let his guard down. Yet, the Derik she had met a few days ago was different—a transformation that intrigued her.

The memory of their chance encounter in a coffee shop few months ago resurfaced. Jennifer had been in Chennai for a business meeting, sipping coffee with her secretary, Prithvi, when she saw him. The glow of love and happiness she saw in his face that day would be permanently etched in her memories, he had transformed into the man she always wanted when she met him after three long years. 'Would she ever have the fortune of encountering the same Derik again?' she wondered as her thoughts got lost in the sweet memories of that day.

Surprised by the unexpected reunion, Jennifer waved at Derik, who recognized her immediately and walked over.

"Jennifer? Didn't expect to see you here," he greeted her with a sweet smile, A smile that made her heart skip a beat.

""Just here for a meeting. Join us for a coffee?" she offered, motioning to the empty chair. Derik's eyes flicked to Prithvi, who was trying to look anywhere but at him. "Prithvi, still Jennifer's shadow, huh?" Derik teased, giving Prithvi a playful nudge.

"He's my secretary now," Jennifer chimed in, trying to suppress a grin. Derik chuckled, "He can't even remember his register number during semester exams, and you've made him your secretary and schedule organizer? That's bold, Jennifer."

Prithvi, finally finding his voice, retorted, "I'll have you know I've improved. I only forget Jennifer's coffee orders now, which is arguably more dangerous though."

Jennifer laughed, "True, he's on thin ice. Mess up my latte one more time, and it's back to being my shadow, Prithvi."

Derik laughed, the sound rich and unexpected. "Well, if he's handling your schedule, I hope he doesn't send you to a meeting in Antarctica by mistake."

Prithvi's mock horror was evident. "Well, Derik. if anything, she will be the one sending me to Antarctica in the name of testing my loyalty"

The trio's laughter filled the coffee shop, a moment of light-hearted conversation that reminded Jennifer of simpler times.

"As we discuss loyalty, does she know yet, Prithvi?" Derik's gaze shifted to Prithvi, perplexing Jennifer, and he visibly panicked.

"Are you hiding anything from me Prithvi" Jennifer eyed Prithvi suspiciously.

"It's nothing, Jennifer, he's just teasing me," Prithvi said with a horrified expression, prompting Derik to burst into laughter once more, while Jennifer became lost in thought about the man before her. He looked different. He looked happy. He looked content and had no trace of the sadness and the void that shadowed him for years. Jennifer felt an odd satisfaction in her heart.

"On what grounds did you choose your secretary? If Prithvi could become your secretary, do you believe Akash can truly succeed in his career? Because, to my knowledge, both of them are utterly hopeless," Derek teased Prithvi once more.

"Hey, stop teasing him, okay? He's the best secretary one could ask for. Even though he's forgetful, no one is as understanding as he is," she said. Prithvi smiled at her genuine compliment, and Derik made an 'Ohh-ohh' expression.