Chapter 48 Take Me Home

Midnight.

Headlights swept the new fence around the Dalton property as the jeep drove up, passing between the new gates on the leveled road. On either side, overgrowth no longer choked the fields; now they were mounds of fresh earth, plowed and seeded with new life. All if it led to the house that no longer looked like a forgotten fairy tale castle, but a whitewashed cabin spilling with warm light.

Parking beside the tan truck in the front yard, between the newly fenced in pens and garden area, Alan stepped out, boots crunching under the new gravel. Warm April breezes fluttered the open front of his shirt and up the inside of his t-shirt, bringing with it the scent of greenery and orange blossoms.

Two months had passed since his aunt's visit. Once the money had come in, they'd started work, splitting their time between the Walker farm and here. As word spread, they'd gotten help from friends, but it was Spring planting, and the other farmers could only give so much. There was still a lot to do, but no one worked as hard as Ray, spending all his nights and weekends on the place. So, when he called and asked Alan to come out tonight, Alan didn't even ask what for. He'd just gotten into his jeep and made the long drive.

Climbing the new porch, he passed into the house. New light fixtures glowed on the walls that some of their friends had helped paint over the weekend. All the windows had been thrown open to let in the fresh breeze, the air no longer cloying with animal musk, but smelling of paint, and new wood flooring of the no longer sunken living room.

"Ray?" Alan called into the empty house.

"Up here," came Ray's voice from the top of the staircase.

Hand on the newly polished banister, Alan took the stairs two at a time. On the second floor, a hall with three doors turned back on itself, completely dark, save for a lone sliver of light coming from the slightly open door of the room at the front of the house.

"Ray?" Alan called again. This time there was no answer. He walked towards the light, placed his hand on the doorknob, and swung the door in. He made it two steps in before what he was seeing registered.

The lower walls had been painted a pale, creamy yellow, while wallpaper printed with a countryside landscape covered the top, complete with trees, sky, and grass. Pushed up against the wall opposite the door, was a double bed with an iron headboard, made up with new sheets and pillows. Beside it, a floor lamp had been draped with a pale scarf. A handful of candles with burning flames huddled on the floor under the window, that was closed and covered with plaid yellow curtains.

"Boo."

Alan jumped at the deep voice in his ear and the hands that grabbed his waist from behind. Turning within their hold with a laugh, he looked up at a chuckling Ray. Then his gaze slid down Ray's body. Showered and shaved, he wore a crisp white t-shirt and black jeans, his black hair, grown out again, still damp and slicked back from his forehead to curl slightly at his nape. This close, Alan could smell the pine soap on his skin.

"That's a good look," Alan said, eyebrows raised.

"It never goes out of style," Ray said with a smile, closing the door behind them.

"What is this?" Alan asked, glancing back at the bed with amusement—and anticipation.

"This."

Ray pulled him forwards by the hips, sound of surprise quickly muffled by Ray's mouth. Eyes closing, Alan lifted his chin and leaned into the kiss, hands coming up to cup the clean shaven jaw. When Ray pulled back to look down at him, the blue eyes held a soft, dreamy expression that Alan had never seen before. Looking up into the blue dreamscape, twinkling with light, Alan could almost see paradise.