Chapter Nine -A Broken Ring

The Deadwood Saloon was significantly more crowded than the last time. There was a makeshift stage that had been set up at the front of the saloon, and Robin could see Dexter tuning his guitar with his pic in his mouth.

"Let's sit at the bar!" Holly yelled over the din, stealing a long  look at Dexter. She hurried over to claim two of the few empty seats left.

"Miss Ivy!" Miss Jackie hollered from down the bar. "It's good to see you again, love!"

"Same to you Miss Jackie! It's been a  while, How have you been?" Holly yelled back. "I love your necklace you're wearing today, by the way." She added, leaning over the bar.

"Oh this old thing?" Miss Jackie said, waving her hand. "I have a very talented friend who made this for me, I need her to make me something new soon, I get too many compliments wearing this one. I'm growing tired of hearing the same thing over and over again."

"Oh my, what a problem... Well, I am sure your friend will be more than happy too." Holly beamed. "Come see me at the shop if you ever have a second. I think I have something that can almost compare to how beautiful you are, Miss Jackie."

"Oh, stop it you." Miss Jackie said coming down the bar to stand in front of their seats. "Now...What is this? Is this the reason you haven't been visiting me in the afternoons?" Miss Jackie smirked as she looked Robin up and down before raising her eyebrow at Holly.

"I can forgive you if so,  I can see why."

Robin felt a blush crawl up his cheeks. Although Robin  considered himself a handsome enough man, he wasn't quite used to people being as forward as they were here in the Great Plains.

"Hah! Yes, well, I wouldn't be a very good hostess if I was sneaking off to the bar and abandoning my guest."Holly said aggressively.  Robin looked over to see Holly's ears had gone red too.

Miss Jackie was nodding her head slowly while  giving Holly a sly look. When all Miss Jackie got was a glare back, she  shook her head with a laugh, reaching down to pull out two glasses from behind the counter.

"Sure, hun." Miss Jackie said gently. " Whatever you say.  Just remember, I'm a barkeep, not a priest."

Holly snorted and  looked a bit annoyed at that comment. Robin couldn't help but raise his eyebrows at what the lady implied.

"I'm well aware,  Miss Jackie," Holly said with a warning look in her eye. " But you are also a terrible gossip, and  I'm gonna remind you that I wouldn't lie to you, or a priest."

"A valid point, pretty girl. I just wanted to tease you." Miss Jackie said, leaning on the counter, and lowering her voice almost to a point that Robin couldn't hear what she was saying.  "It's just that you  have been cooped up in that old house for so long on your own, we are all excited for you. That's all." She tilted her head at Robin "Heard good things about this one from those who've met him, and he's got my stamp of approval. Couldn't have come at a better time for you too, huh? since-"

"Hi, Ivy!" A cheery voice called from behind them.

Robin turned to see a very short woman with bobbed red hair. A notably small and skinny woman, who looked to be in her early thirties. She wasn't exceptionally pretty, but  had a very light and childlike aura to her. 
This woman casually put her hand on Holly's back as she walked up and sat in the bar seat on the other side of Holly, reaching for a hug, which Holly hesitantly obliged.

"Oh, hi Corrine." Holly said less than enthusiastically. "I am looking forward to the show tonight."

"Aw thanks, love." Corrine said, acting shy and giggling at the praise. Playfully swatting at Holly's  shoulder.