𝑭𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒉

She can hear the bird tapping against her window

She can hear the bird tapping against her window. So rapidly. Probably another mockingjay.

Reminding her of the despair. The pretty bird. She had to get up on only 3 hours of sleep to work in the fields. Tomorrow is the reaping.

She doesn't feel that deep canal of fear. It's thousands of kids just waiting to die. She doubts she'll get picked this year.

Suki looks in the broken mirror and thoroughly brushes her hair. She still had to look a bit more presentable. Her hair doesn't get the best treatment but her curls are still holding on. Making her look more youthful.

Her brown eyes were so dark they could just barely shine.

"Did you get any sleep baby?" Her mother Elena asked. Willowy and skin almost as brown as suki's. She gave a tired smile before kissing her daughters head.

Recently they hadn't been on the best terms. Quite the opposite in fact.

"No mama." The girl mumbled, unable to hold that tiny grudge of hers. It made her sad whenever her mother yelled at her or insulted her.

But she couldn't help seeing her as a goddess nonetheless.

"Aww, it's okay. Here, let me get that small tangle." There was silence in those ten seconds. Thankfully nothing hurt like it usually did with suki's sensitive scalp.

The mother gave another smile, beauty never fading after all these years. "When we get home I'll see you for supper."

They gave each other a tight hug. In the back of Elena's mind she as scared. Petrified.

She knew motherhood could've been for her. If only it was different life.

She got her daughter dressed in something comfortable before heading them out. The peacekeepers held their guns tightly as they rushed them to the crops.

She went off ground whilst the child climbed the trees.

While up there she continued to look down on everyone, keeping watch. She knew she wasn't supposed to. But she did.

She liked to keep watch of her mother. She wanted to protect her. But she turned her head back to this tree. She tried to know better.

In District 11 you have to mature at a young age if you wish to survive. To have hope.

She saw as the rest of her friends climbed the trees while their older siblings worked more in the fields. The day was hot. The sun field like it was oil and her skin was bacon.

She hadn't even had breakfast or a glass of water.

That's a morning privilege.

She struggled to grab the apples and put them down. She almost wished could've gone to the black walnut or even fig trees. Cherry maybe. They were way easier.