❖ One ❖

Mari's POV:

It was a late summer evening and I was laying on my bed reading The 5th Wave.
It's a great book but I couldn't stop thinking about one of the characters. His name is Ben Parish and may I say, he was hella cute.

"Ugh. Why can't I have a Ben Parish in my life?!" I asked myself. I heard my phone vibrate on my night stand but didn't bother to get up and grab it. I bet it was just Alaina. She has been my best friend since 4th grade. I could trust her with anything.

"Mom said to come down stairs for dinner!" I heard my sister Sarah yell. I closed my book and went downstairs. Everyone was already at the table. For the first few minutes, we ate in silence. Then my dad spoke up.

"So Mari. Zach's parents called." I choked on my food a little when he mentioned Zach's name. "And they had some exciting news for you." He said.

"What's the news?" I asked trying not to sound nervous as I took a sip of my water.

"Do you remember Zach's aunt Claire? Well she has recently opened up an amusement park with dinosaurs called Jurassic World. She's excited about it and says she wants you to go see her at the park. She sent us tickets for you. And you have another ticket to either take your sister with you or take a friend." He said.

"I don't want to go! Dinosaurs are stupid and boring." said Sarah. I rolled my eyes.

"I want to go!" said my little brother, Nathan.

"Sarah, you don't have to go if you don't want to. And Nathan, you're too little to go. I wouldn't be there and neither would your Dad so you can't go. Sorry honey." said my Mom. He looked upset and it made me feel bad but I know my mom was right. Also I didn't feel like babysitting.

I looked down at my plate and played with my food. I didn't know what to do. Zach and I haven't talked in months and no one knew. Except for Alaina and that little bitch Courtney. She was the one that caused this in the first place. I hated her with a burning passion.

I finally made my choice. "If Sarah doesn't want to go, then I'll take Alaina with me. I'm sure she would like to go." The only reason I decided to go was because I know my parents would question me if I didn't. And I didn't really feel like telling them about Zach and I.
My parents also had a great friendship with Zach's and I didn't want to ruin that either.

"Well I guess you should let her know and see if she would like to go." My Dad said. I nodded.

After dinner, I went back to my room and laid on my bed once again. I thought about the last time I talk to Zach, which was a long time ago, but I still remembered it like it was yesterday. I missed him but at the same time I didn't.

*Flashback*

I was at Courtney's house and we where in her room. I was texting Zach, telling him about the funniest thing that happened that day. Courtney looked over my shoulder and saw that I was talking to him.

"You really like him don't you?" She asked. I looked up and blushed.

"Yeah... I really like him! He's just so sweet and funny! But I would never tell him! It would just ruin our friendship. Besides, I know he's not into me."

"I understand. He's really hot though!" Courtney said.

I rolled my eyes and smiled. But I couldn't help but think that she liked him. I felt like asking her but I just kept my mouth shut.

"Oh don't worry! He's not my type. I was just saying." said Courtney with a smirk plastered on her face. She always knew what I was thinking without me even saying anything, which I thought was creepy. But that smirk only appeared when she was lying or she thought of diabolical plan, and this worried me even more.