How do verbs work with indefinite pronouns?

Indefinite pronouns usually refer to nonspecific persons, things, quantities, or ideas. The non-specific aspect is why these pronouns are labeled "indefinite." As part of a sentence, however, the indefinite pronoun is usually clear from the meaning.

Most indefinite pronouns are singular and require a singular verb for agreement. Yet, others are always plural, and a few can be singular or plural.

COMMON INDEFINITE PRONOUNS

Always Plural: both, many

Always Singular:

another, every, no one, anybody everybody, nothing

anyone, everyone, one, anything, everything, somebody,

each, neither, someone, either, nobody, something

Singular or Plural, Depending on Context

all, more, none, any, most, some

Sample sentences:

SINGULAR INDEFINITE PRONOUNS

Everything about that intersection is dangerous.

But whenever anyone says anything, nothing is done.

Every snowstorm of the past two years has [not have] been severe.

SINGULAR OR PLURAL INDEFINITE PRONOUNS (DEPENDING ON MEANING)

Some of our streams are polluted. [Some refers to the plural noun streams, so the plural verb are is correct.]

Some pollutions is reversible, but all pollution threatens the balance of nature. [Some and all refer to the singular noun pollution, so the singular verbs is and threatens are correct.]

NOTE: (1) Don't mix singular and plural with this, that, these, and those used with kind and type. This and that are singular, as are kind and type; these and those are plural, as are kinds and types: This [not These] kind of rainwear is waterproof. These [not This] kinds of sweaters keep me warm (2) The rules for indefinite pronouns often collide with practices of avoiding SEXIST LANGUAGE.

###