Chapter One - The Orphanage

"Mooommmmm, why do we have to adopt a kid? They all look so ugly anyway," 

     I froze. The sound of whiny, bratty children echoed throughout the orphanage. It was spring fever, and people were wanting to add another spoiled child to their collection (in other words, adopt a kid). Today I had my hopes up. Maybe, for once this year... I might get adopted! Excitement filled up my five senses as the rich celebrities and middle-class businessmen & women flooded Cherrylilly Estate Orphanage. 

"And over here we have Valen. She's not much to look at. However, I can tell you she's quite... hotheaded. You might want to keep an eye on her. If you decide to adopt her, do NOT celebrate her 8th birthday. She's been causing... well, trouble," Auntie Suzanne, our nanny (and definitely not our real aunt) spoke loudly when a pair of rich snobby white women stood by my little play area. 

"Hm. She's a blonde. Can we get her for a discount? Or perhaps, for free?" One from the stuffy pair asked.

     My insides started to boil. Me? Causing trouble? If anything, I was the one being tormented by my peers. I was the one who was facing the consequences for their actions. This was sickening.

"Ha. Well, you're a blondie too, miss." Auntie Suzanne laughed, "Why should I give you a discount?"

     The lady paused. Damn, Auntie did have a point. However, the look in her eyes told everyone that she wasn't giving up on that discount.

"Ugh, it's hair dye! I'm talking about natural blondes. Besides those hideous purple highlights in her hair, I'm pretty sure she's one of them," she spat back. The other lady nodded in agreement.

     Auntie this time was the one freezing up. I gently clashed my lightning McQueen racing car into a block tower, not wanting to make a noise. I guess McQueen was a little rowdy today, because the 95 on his side knocked into the tall wooden tower. Wooden blocks spilled everywhere. My fabulous creation fell in vain. The three women turned to glare at me. 

Whoops.

"Ugh, let's just go, Tiffany. She's not worth it. A blondie like her shouldn't even be on the market." The artificial blonde scoffed as Auntie Suzanne guided Tiffany away from my scattered blocks and race cars. 

     Whatever. It's not like I wanted to be adopted by those cunts anyway. I'm fine all by myself! I can play with toys, watch TV, and eat goldfish at the orphanage anyway! What else would you even need?
     I stared at the big sign on the wall. Hmm, what did it say? It was big, red, and had a picture of somebody with light hair on the front. If only I could... read it...

"No... blawns... blons? Lawns? Wait..." I hesitated, trying my best to pronounce the foreign word. 

"Oh." I read it again. This time I knew what it meant. But, what did it mean?

     "NO BLONDES". What on earth did that mean? And what was wrong with these "blondes"? Did they do something wrong? 
     Confused on this subject matter, I cautiously walked towards the popular kid in the orphanage, Bella. She was taller than the other kids, had long black hair with butterfly clips in it, and had warm tan skin. No wonder why she was popular. She was gorgeous. If I was half as gorgeous as her, maybe people would actually like me.

"Bella...?" I tapped on the slim girl's shoulder, "I have a question..."

     Bella, who never has ever talked to me in her life, eyed me closely. She pulled away from my hesitant touch. The look on her face screamed "don't touch me, you piece of filth".

"Ugh, what do you want, Valen?" she groaned, "A lollipop? I only give those to normal kids,"

     I flinched. Normal kids? What did she mean by that? Did Bella not think I was a normal kid? Well, surely she was smarter than me, right? I was 7, she was nearly 12 years old. Was I strange just because she was a beautiful tween while I wasn't? Something was wrong here. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it. Just maybe.