Chapter 8

"Are you happy Renar? These are finally your last moments as a handyman!" 

"Haha. Yes I am..." Maybe it was Adam's informality or his anxiety, but Renar's face was pale. 

'What kind of question is that!? Today is the day I find out if I will survive or not! If we were to talk about my abilities it would be obvious that he would take me, but Devland also makes decisions based on his instincts!' 

Devland, the wealthiest noble and the Supreme General of the imperial army didn't seem to like Renar very much. As a skilled businessman and military leader, Devland was adept at hiding his thoughts and emotions. However Renar was no fool, he knew it was hard to avoid appearing suspicious to someone as perceptive as Devland. Despite his efforts, Renar was certain that Devland found him suspicious.

But most of all he really didn't understand exactly how their way of measuring his abilities worked, because all he did was do useless chores, which maybe give you an idea of ​​what you're best at, but it was still a vague method for Renar.

'Besides who is the one who usually does all those things... I'm actually curious.' 

"Adam, Jett," said Claude, "we're going out early today, come on."

'What! Why didn't you tell me in advance that today you'd go to sleep early!? I'm not mentally prepared yet!' He screams internally.

Obviously his tension was well perceived, but there was nothing that could be done. In the end the three secretaries followed Devland, not unconditionally but they always were very loyal. 

Renar was standing there, waiting for him to talk. 'He's continuing to work like nothing. Come on, hurry...!' Renar was staring at Devland impatiently, perhaps too impatiently.

"Renar," Devland said as he continued writing on the document, "should I gouge out your eyes?" 

Renar remained silent, and as Devland suggested, he stopped peeking. But this wasn't enough for Devland, who put down his pen and then stood up, walking straight and stopping right in front of Renar. 

"Tell me Renar, do you feel like you are close to becoming the star's shadow?" Maybe it was to tease him or maybe he was serious, but Renar didn't dare raise his head. 

'I just hope he doesn't repeat his actions from last time depending on my response.' 

"That's for you to decide, Your Grace." 

"What a pretty answer, but I think I asked you a very specific question, answer properly." 

Renar almost sighed exasperated, "Your Grace, I have the confidence that I can do better, but I am still not at the level of others." 

Devland chuckled, "That's rich from someone who constantly helped with multiple tasks without difficulties." 

'Yes, but they were useless ones anyway!' But in fact, not only Renar did all sort of things, but after finishing he even helped Claude, Jett and Adam silently.

"You flatter me too much."

"Really? Then what do you think you can do?" Devland asked, drawing his sword and forcing it under Renar's chin to raise his head. "What value could you have in this palace."

He wasn't the type to be scared that much, after all he's seen the worst things througout his lifes, especially his first one. But nothing was worse than those inhuman eyes. They were scarlet, but not like blood, not like the sunset, a color that was simply too intense that it resembled nothing knowable to man, making the aura around Devland even more terrifying. 

"Ah..." Renar couldn't speak properly, he couldn't with that pressure on his throat. "Your Grace, I can do anything..." 

"Oh-oh?" His Grand Duke's aura didn't make him glow, but sparkle to the point that it could make anyone faint. 

"Whatever position His Grace gives me, I will fill it properly." 

Devland didn't stop to stare at him. "Renar, you're not someone I can figure out, there's something about you that really doesn't add up to me." His voice was cold as ice, but his burning eyes almost made Renar's eyes water. "A young man belonging to a mediocre noble house, and just because he was adopted out of charity at that. No private education, no academy. Unless you are weren't secretely training, this is absolutely impossible."

'Obviously your doubts are well founded, in truthdidn't receive any kind of education in the Borgia family, but I don't know if Renar ever received any before I took his body, I don't have his memories. But in any case, just as Devland says, it's not possible to be at these levels without a specific education. But do you think I wasn't prepared for this deathly question? There is a very simple answer!'

Renar stared at him for a few seconds, "Your Grace that's because I am a genius!" He said confidently. 

He stared at Renar for a few seconds, "A genius, you say?" He said, not putting away his sword, "A genius at being a secretary?"

Renar was sweating cold, but fear wasn't a trait that could've made him survive inside the Mors' residence. "Your Grace, there can be many talents within someone, don't you know that better than anyone else? I wouldn't even dream of lying to you either way."

Devland began to sneer, "Okay, I get it, if you're a genius then I want you to be able to answer this question, what am I missing? What am I missing, as the Grand Duke?" 

Renar stared at him in horror, 'This, this question!? This is the same question he asked the Emperor after the story began! I can't believe it...' Obviously Renar had a good reason to be scared, this question was fatal to the progress of the story. 

He looked at him with icy eyes, murderous aura around him, "Since you claim that I cannot have it, even if it should be rightfully mine, then I want you to be able to answer this question, what am I missing? What am I missing as the Grand Duke, for you to act so imprudently?" 

Edward looked at him coldly, set his teeth and squeezed the divine relic in his hand, "Aha, now you ask me for advice? Don't make me laugh, what you lack is reason, empathy, but I know you can't even understand that much. Just know that nothing will make you get Clair's pearl from me, much less from Cathy!" 

Devland drew his sword and as he did that, Edward stepped ahead, ready to fight...

'Damn!!! And what do I tell him now? Reason and empathy are the things he lacks!'

"So? I'm waiting for the genious' opinion." He says, smirking creepily.

Renar gulped, he was scared, but why couldn't he take advantage of the golden opportunity? 

"What you lack, Your Grace, are connections!" 

Devland stared at him, and drew a line across Renar's neck with his sword, drawing blood. 

Renar's heart was pounding, he was shaking and his face was pale, but those were the characteristics that would lead to his death. 'Damn, at this rate I won't be able to change shit in three years, it's do or die with this bastard.' 

He frowned, "Your Grace, I'm just trying to answer your question as objectively as possible."

Devland clearly took this as an insult, in fact there was no greater insult for the Mors family, they could and did everything, they didn't need anyone. "Renar Borgia, I don't think I gave you permission to speak again, and don't worry because there will no longer be any need for you to breathe ever again." 

Renar was now furious too. 'Fuck, why was I even hoping for a change in this retarded bastard!'