FORTY-TWO

It was also night when we started our journey back towards home. After picking up all the flowers and seeds I wanted we sat and had lunch during which he spent most of his time on phone much to my relief because I got to have a prolonged conversation with Saad. It turned out he was in high school and his school fees was paid by him who was busy in his phone with a frown which was a unique feature to the normal people but for him it was constant part of his life. Despite the time when he saw me the way that could make me feel my stomach fluttering in response.

“What do you want?” The ride back was home was silent until he asked me the question.

“What?” I looked at him with dumbfounded expressions as his eyes were set on the road with shades on them. It was injustice to the beautiful green eyes which had all the emotions hidden under that stone one.

“To eat.” He looked down at me as he tilted his head towards the road to let me know we were on a food street which was guarded by food stalls, KFC, and multiple restaurants.

“Oh!” I looked at the road as it was my first time on any food street so I couldn’t acknowledge that.

“Get down and we’ll see.” Before I could say anything, he parked the car and got down to open the car door for me. I was getting down when he grabbed my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine as if they were meant to fit together.

My heart skipped a beat as he closed the door behind me and started taking slow steps in order to catch mine as his one long stride would be enough to make me run in order to walk beside him but I thought he already knew that.

Maybe he wanted to walk beside me.

Maybe he wanted to be with me.

I fluttered my eyelashes several times with little shaking of head as absurd thoughts were coming into my mind which didn’t make any sense.

Don’t think of him as your husband. An inner voice spoke for my emotional safety as I marked check on that. I should obey to that voice.

The street was filled with crowd of people as I was shocked that he brought me in a place like this. He was more like a five-star type of guy but if he could cook in a desi Dhaba then he could enjoy life in the food street too. But the thing that he couldn’t bare was also invasion of privacy the foot street also lacked that. Beggars were roaming around; people were walking touching you and bumping into you.

“That looks fine.” As I suspected he chose the more prestigious restaurant on the food street as we entered inside and as soon as the door closed, we were met with the serene environment of a restaurant without any noise of the street.

A waitress approached us with dark lipstick and bright smile and the way she was wearing tight clothes didn’t irk my nerves but the fact that she completely ignored my presence and went directly to him surely did. What was she luring customers so that they could come again and again?

She guided us towards the table for two as she gestured him towards the chair but he moved towards me and took my coat before dragging the chair for me. I suppressed my smile as I saw the smile on the waitress dimming up but still present there which screamed professionalism.

“Thank you.” I mumbled as I looked above at him who was placing my coat on his chair’s headrest and sat before smirkingly saying. “Always at your service ma’am.” He smirked and I blessed him with a smile which I regrated because the intensity in his eyes made its place which could make my palm sweaty.

“Not always.” I mumbled in a complaining manner.

“When did you ask for a service? Ask for it and I’ll never let you down.” He said as he passed me the menu card which I didn’t touch.